Dec 05, 2023  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering, AS-T/MRP Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: STEM - Major Related Programs

Need to print? Click “print degree planner” icon . Do not use the print icon button .

To use this planning guide, check the Class Schedule.

What is an AS-T Track 2 MRP?

The Associate in Science Transfer (AS-T) Track 2, Major Related Program is designed to prepare students entrance into a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) program in Bioengineering or Chemical Engineering. The MRP details the required foundation courses for students to be prepared for junior standing at baccalaureate institutions. Students will be required to take additional general education courses after transfer. Engineering is also an excellent major for graduate studies in Environmental Sciences, Law, Medicine, Business and Education.

What do I need to take?

Below are the requirements for the AS-T Track 2 and the Major Related Program (MRP) in Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering.

General Education - 18-20 Credits

Courses used in General Education (Gen Ed) Core may not be used for distribution.

Communication (8-10 Credits)

Take ENGL& 101  and either ENGL& 102 , ENGL& 230 , or CMST& 101 .

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Select one of the following courses:

HUM 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 PSYC 230 , SOC 270 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Distribution Requirements - 10 Credits

Humanities (5 Credits)

Take one course from the Humanities  course list.

Social Sciences (5 Credits)

Take one course from the Social Sciences  course list. Recommended: ECON& 201 .

Pre-Major Program - 78-80 Credits

What does your chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

University of Washington

Degrees: B.S. in Bioengineering; Chemical Engineering with an option in Nanoscience, Molecular Engineering; and Bioresource Science and Engineering.

Requirements: Note that UW Departments of Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering admit only once a year for Spring Quarter and that admission is very competitive.

Walla Walla University

Degrees: B.S. in Bioengineering.

Requirements: Walla Walla University is a private university affiliated with the Seventh Day Adventists. Students will be required to take religious studies courses after transfer.

Washington State University

Degrees: B.S. in Bioengineering; Chemical Engineering (Pullman)

Requirements: In addition to core math, science and engineering courses, WSU requires ECON& 201  to graduate. A 2.0 or better grade in all engineering and major prerequisite courses is required.

Degree Planning Guide

Student Information

Major/Pathway(s): ___________________________

Specialty (if applicable): _______________________

Academic Goals

___ Complete an A.A. or A.S. degree

___ Prepare for transfer only-No degree

___ High school completion program/GED

Transfer Schools of Interest

1. _______________________________________________________

2. _______________________________________________________

3. _______________________________________________________

4. _______________________________________________________

Previous College Experience

___ Transferred from another college

___ Completed transfer credit evaluation

___ Prior Learning Assessment

Where can I go for help?

For course information and entry codes, contact:,,,,

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229  206-546-4559:

Tiffany Meier  206-546-6953 Rm. 5233

International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302  206-546-4697

Instructional Faculty Advisors

Alison Armstrong  206-546-4698 Rm. 2810
David Phippen  206-546-4572 Rm. 2817

Where can I transfer?

The AS-T Track 2 MRP in Bioengineering and Chemical Engineering makes it possible for students to transfer to a number of public and private colleges and universities with junior standing. Below are Washington state institutions that recognize this MRP.

University of Washington (BE, CHE,)
Washington State University (BE, CHE)
Walla Walla University (BE)

* Note: Engineering majors offered at Washington state universities are designated as follows: Bioengineering (BE) and Chemical Engineering (CHE)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: STEM - Major Related Programs