Jun 15, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Information about Enrollment

Becoming a Shoreline Student

Admission Information:
Shoreline Community College
16101 Greenwood Avenue North
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

Phone: (206) 546-4611
Fax: (206) 546-5835

E-mail: sccadmis@shoreline.edu

Students may begin their college education at Shoreline Community College in fall, winter, spring, or summer quarter. To apply for admission, students should submit an online application or a paper application (by mail, fax, or in person) to Enrollment Services. Applications should be submitted as early as possible before the quarter begins. Applicants will receive notification of acceptance and registration information by email.

Admission Eligibility

A candidate for admission to Shoreline Community College must be a graduate of an accredited high school, have a General Education Development (GED) certificate, or be at least 18 years of age. Applicants for programs that are targeted to specific populations under the age of 18 may be admitted under the specific guidelines established for each program. Students under the age of 16 are generally not admitted to the college.  Upon admission, students may be required to submit any of the following records to the Enrollment & Financial Aid Services Office:

  1. College Transcripts

Students who have attended other colleges are required to submit official transcripts from all colleges from which they wish to transfer credit toward their Shoreline Community College degree. The College accepts credits earned at colleges or universities that are recognized by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities or other regionally accredited agencies. Transcripts of course work from other colleges may also be required to provide evidence of placement level before registration in English composition, reading, math or courses with prerequisites.

Students receiving federal financial aid or those receiving educational benefits from the Department of Veterans Affairs are required to submit official transcripts from all prior colleges including, in the case of veterans, those attended before, during, and after active duty. Official transcripts submitted to Shoreline Community College become the property of the College.

  1. High School Transcripts

Students are encouraged to submit final, official high school transcripts to Enrollment Services. High school transcripts may be used to provide evidence of placement level and will assist advisors of students seeking to transfer to meet those institutions’ admissions and graduation requirements.

Students who have not graduated from high school

Applicants who have not graduated from high school may be required to verify placement before registration. The College recommends that applicants consider the High School Completion Program or the General Education Development test as an aid to planning the student’s program.

High school students attending a day high school full-time or part-time may also take high school completion classes or college credit classes to meet their own high school requirements. The student must have an authorization letter from his or her counselor or vice principal stating that the high school will allow the student to attend the college classes and will accept the credits earned.

The Running Start program allows high school juniors and seniors to take college classes. See the Running Start section of this catalog for more information.

International Students

(206) 546-4697 • 9000 Building (PUB), Third Floor

International students are eligible to study at Shoreline with an F-1 visa. Shoreline Community College does NOT require international students to submit the results of an English proficiency exam with their application. Instead, each Shoreline student is asked to take an English as a Second Language (ESL) proficiency test upon arrival in the U.S. in order to be placed in the appropriate classes.

In order to apply for admission as an international student, the following items are required:

  1. A completed application form *
  2. Complete and official high school records (all years), as well as any college or university transcripts
  3. Evidence of financial responsibility
  4. Application fee

* Please contact International Education for an application packet.

Programs with Special Selection Procedures

Admission to the College does not guarantee acceptance into certain programs that have special admission requirements. Biotechnology, Dental Hygiene, Health Informatics and Information Management, Medical Laboratory Technology, Nursing, and The Honors College at Shoreline fall into this category. Other programs such as Automotive Service Technology have waiting lists due to high demand. Refer to the Professional-Technical Degree Programs section of this catalog for further information.

Audit Students

An audit student must be registered and have paid required tuition and fees. Class participation will be at the instructor’s discretion. No credit is earned. A student cannot change to or from audit status after the first day of the seventh week of the quarter. The audit grade appears as an “N” and will be permanently posted on the official transcript.

Determine Placement


Some Shoreline courses require that students demonstrate prior knowledge and abilities to register. Examples of these courses include English, math, and science. Students can demonstrate that they have met the requirement by completing courses at the college or through a variety of placement methods.

Placement is a process by which students find the appropriate level of Math and English courses to support their success. Shoreline uses multiple measures to identify appropriate placement into courses.

Some of these include

  • credits from another college;
  • AP, IB, SAT, ACT, or GED scores;
  • high school transcripts;
  • Smarter Balanced Assessment scores;
  • Directed Self-Placement for English;
  • or a placement exam taken at Shoreline or another college.

Contact an advisor or visit shoreline.edu/placement for more information.

Provide Previous Credits

Transfer Credits

advising@shoreline.edu • (206) 546-4559
5000 Building (FOSS), Room 5229

Credits earned at colleges or universities that are recognized by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities or other regional accrediting agencies are accepted by Shoreline Community College.

While selecting courses, Shoreline Community College advisors can review unofficial college transcript(s) to provide guidance about how credits will transfer. To ensure these credits count toward a Shoreline degree, students need to request official transcript(s) from previous college(s). Students then submit these transcripts along with a Transfer Degree Request for Transcript Evaluation form to Enrollment Services. Please note that it is not necessary to wait for completion of the transcript evaluation to register for classes.

Academic Credit by Prior Learning Assessment

Shoreline awards credits to students who can demonstrate their prior learning in four general categories:

  • Prior Experiential Learning (PEL): Students work with a faculty subject matter expert to determine whether documentable work experience aligns with learning outcomes for a particular course or courses. Students submit a compilation of their work, such as a portfolio, which the faculty subject matter expert reviews to determine whether credit can be awarded.
  • Extra-Institutional Learning (EIL): For some Shoreline courses, specific workplace training (e.g., Police Academy) has been established as equivalent and relevant credit may be awarded.
  • Credit by Testing: Shoreline awards credit for college-level standardized tests such as Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), and Cambridge International (CI).
  • Course Challenge: For some Shoreline courses, students can take an exam developed by Shoreline faculty subject matter experts to demonstrate their prior learning and receive any applicable credit.

There are restrictions on how and when credit by prior learning assessment can be awarded. For more information, see the Credit for Prior Learning web page.

Apply for Financial Aid

finaid@shoreline.edu • (206) 546-4729 • 5000 Building (FOSS), Room 5220

Shoreline Community College offers financial assistance to eligible students enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program at the College. Eligibility is determined by federal and state regulations based on information students and parents report on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) or Washington Application for State Financial Aid (WASFA). Students might receive aid in the form of grants, part-time employment, or student loans. Students are encouraged to complete the FAFSA or WASFA annually for each academic year. Summer quarter is the beginning of each academic year at the College. Application deadlines are posted on the financial aid office website (see above). Eligible students that meet the priority deadline will be considered for maximum funding. Students that did not meet the posted deadlines will be awarded on a funds-available basis.

To apply for aid, students must:

  1. Complete the FAFSA online at www.fafsa.gov or the WASFA online at readysetgrad.org/WASFA. Shoreline Community College’s federal school code is 003791.
  2. Submit all required documents for file review and eligibility determination. Forms are available online at www.shoreline.edu/apply-and-aid/financial-aid.
  3. Submit a Direct Loan Request form if interested in taking out a loan.
  4. Submit a Summer Quarter Financial Aid request form if planning to attend summer quarter.

After a file is complete, eligibility for aid will be determined. Students are notified of their aid eligibility via Shoreline Community College’s email. Students are encouraged to check their financial aid portal on a regular basis at shoreline.edu/faportal.

General Eligibility Requirements

To receive financial aid, federal and state regulations require that students must:

  • meet all eligibility criteria as determined by the U.S. Department of Education, Washington Student Achievement Council, and Shoreline Community College
  • have a high school diploma or GED
  • be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program
  • be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen or eligible to complete the WASFA (Washington residents who are not eligible to complete the FAFSA can complete the WASFA because of the Real Hope Act)
  • make satisfactory academic progress
  • sign the FAFSA or WASFA statement certifying that they will use financial aid only for educational purposes
  • not be disqualified based on a conviction for a drug-related offense while receiving aid
  • certify that they are not in default on a federal student loan and do not owe a repayment of a federal grant
  • be registered with the Selective Service, if required
  • not be currently enrolled in high school
    Additional eligibility notes:
  • Students do not have to be enrolled full-time to receive aid. Aid is prorated based on enrollment level. Students must be enrolled for at least half time (6 credits) in eligible credits to receive student loans and work study. Students enrolled for less than half time might be eligible for a limited amount of federal Pell grant and Washington State Need grant assistance.
  • Students who have received a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, including degrees earned from unaccredited or foreign schools, are not eligible for federal and/or state grants, but could be eligible for student loans.
  • Students cannot receive financial aid from two schools at the same time.
  • Shoreline participates in study-abroad programs approved for academic credit. Eligible students may receive financial aid through available grant and loan programs offered at the College.

Types of Financial Aid

Grants and Waivers

Federal Pell Grants

This federal grant is available to eligible students enrolled at least part-time. In some cases, limited amounts of Pell Grants may be available to students enrolled for less than 6 credit hours. Grants will be awarded in amounts up to $6345* for the 2020-2021 academic year. Students enrolled in a fourth quarter during the academic year may receive an additional award of up to $2115*.  Determination of the amount is based on the FAFSA application information submitted by the applicant to the federal processor.
*subject to change

Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (SEOG)

These federal grants are available to students with exceptional financial need and the average award is $100 quarterly for the 2020-2021 academic year. Priority is given to students with the greatest need who meet the posted priority deadlines.

Washington College Grants, College Bound Scholarship, Passport to College

These state grants are available for Washington State residents. Students must meet other criteria established by the state.

Shoreline Grant, Tuition and Fee Waivers

Shoreline Community College Grants and Tuition and Fee waivers may be available for state residents enrolled in at least 3 credits or more. The state permits colleges to award this grant and/or to waive a portion of resident tuition and fees for a limited number of eligible students.

Veteran/Dependent Waiver

Military-connected students and student veterans may be eligible for a tuition waiver based on the Washington Administrative Code (WAC), section 478-160-163. A 25-50% tuition reduction is offered to all qualified Washington State residents with an honorable discharge pursuing their first associate/professional degree. A tuition waiver is offered to eligible dependents and spouses based on the Revised Code of Washington (RCW) 28B.15.621. Qualifying dependents and spouses may be eligible to receive a waiver of all tuition and fees if they are Washington State residents, if the veteran is a Washington State resident with a 100% service-connected disability, deceased, or POW/MIA.

Federal and State Work-Study

Work-Study is a program in which students are employed part-time and earn money to help pay for their educational expenses. Students are paid bimonthly for the hours they work. The earnings are partially subsidized by federal and state funding. Jobs are posted on the jobs board by the Financial Aid Office. On-campus and off-campus positions are available.

Student Loans

Shoreline Community College participates in federal loan programs including the Federal Direct Loan (subsidized and unsubsidized), parent PLUS loan and Nursing Loan. Students are encouraged to borrow as little as possible to minimize loan debts after graduation. More information about the federal Direct Loan program is available in the Financial Aid Office and online at studentaid.gov.

Subsidized Direct Loans

The maximum subsidized loan is $3,500 per academic year for first-year students and $4,500 for second-year students who have completed half of the required credits in their program of study. Eligibility for the subsidized Direct Loan is based on financial need as determined using the FAFSA application and the credits completed in their degree program.

Unsubsidized Direct Loans

Unsubsidized Direct Loans are not based on financial need but are limited by a student’s budget.

First-year dependent students may borrow up to a combined maximum of $5,500 in subsidized and unsubsidized Direct Loans.

Second-year dependent students with at least half of the required credits completed in their degree program may borrow up to a combined maximum of $6,500.

Independent students may borrow up to $6,000 in unsubsidized Direct Loans in addition to the maximum subsidized amounts for first-or-second year, depending on need and the cost of attendance (see Estimated Costs of Attendance).

The interest rate on both the Subsidized and Unsubsidized loan is currently 4.53%**. Interest is paid by taxpayer funds on the subsidized loan while students are enrolled at least half time (6 credits) and during the six-month grace period after graduation. Loan Entrance Counseling is required for first-time borrowers, and Exit Counseling is required for all students when they leave school.

The counseling is completed online at studentloans.gov. To borrow a student loan, students must complete a Master Promissory Note at studentaid.gov and submit the Direct Loan Request form to the Financial Aid Office. The loan request form is available in the Financial Aid Office or online at shoreline.edu/apply-and-aid/financial-aid.

If a Direct Loan recipient’s enrollment drops below 6 credits during a quarter, the College is required by the U.S. Department of Education to cancel the student’s loan. The student is no longer eligible to receive any further funds from the original loan application. The student must be re-approved for future loan aid, and must submit a new student loan request form.

**Interest rates and other conditions are subject to changes, and the federal government pays interest charges for students only on subsidized Direct Loans for students enrolled at least half time.

Parent PLUS Loans

Parent PLUS Loans are available for parents of students who have first completed the FAFSA and financial aid application process. Parents must complete the Master Promissory Note at studentaid.gov and submit the Parent PLUS Loan Request form to the Financial Aid Office. The PLUS Loan form is available in the office.

Nursing Loans

Students admitted to the Nursing Program may borrow up to $3,300 a year. These funds are available to those who demonstrate need. These loans must be repaid during a 10-year period after completing the degree program. Interest is paid during the repayment period at 5%.

Short-Term/Emergency Loans

Continuing students with a 2.0 GPA may borrow a short-term/emergency loan. A cosigner may be required. Loans are granted for resident tuition, books, and emergencies. The maximum amount a student may borrow is the amount needed for the quarter’s books, or the amount needed to pay resident tuition, or $150 for emergencies.

A service charge of $5 is placed on each loan. To assist as many students as possible with these limited funds, a short-term loan must be repaid within 60 days of the date of the promissory note, and no later than the end of the quarter in which the loan is made.

Students must apply in person through the Women and Gender Equity Center and Multicultural Center. The application may require additional documentation.


Information About Financial Aid

Satisfactory Academic Progress for Financial Aid Recipients

Satisfactory Academic Progress toward a degree or certificate must be maintained to be eligible for financial aid. Students must meet the academic standards of the College and the requirements of the financial aid policy for progress. A complete copy of the policy is available in the Financial Aid Office and online at shoreline.edu/enrollment-services/financial-aid/. Academic progress is evaluated each quarter and on an annual basis, according to the Registrar’s grade reports and/or an instructor’s report. Each quarter, full-time students are expected to register for and complete a minimum of 12 credits with at least a 2.0 grade point average (GPA). Students must achieve and maintain at least a 2.0 cumulative GPA. Students are also expected to complete at least 67% of all credits they attempt. Grades of 0.0, H, I, N, NC, V, W, Z and audited classes do not count toward completed credits. Please refer to the Academic Regulations section of this catalog for definitions. At the end of each quarter, students who complete fewer than registered credits are on warning or cancellation status. Students may reinstate eligibility by achieving a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0 and a 67% completion rate. Aid is normally available for 125% of the number of credits required for the program of study. All credits attempted, including withdrawals, are counted toward the 125% limit. If unusual circumstances prevent a student from making progress, students may submit a written petition to request that their eligibility for aid be reinstated. Students might need to attach supporting documentation to their petition.

Estimated Average Costs of Attendance for Financial Aid

The following estimated average costs will be used to determine financial aid eligibility for a state resident attending full-time for three quarters (nine months) in the 2020-2021 academic year. The tuition and fee amounts are determined primarily by the State Legislature. Other expenses are estimated averages.

  Living with parents or relatives Living away from parents or relatives
Tuition & Fees (average FT) $4,347 $4,347
Books & Supplies $930 $930
Rent, Food, Utilities $3,468 $11,118
Transportation $1,236 $1,236
Personal & Miscellaneous $1,980 $2,478
Estimated Total $11,961 $20,109

Expenses will vary depending on special program costs, non-resident tuition, daycare, and other factors. The student budget is revised annually to reflect current costs.

Qualifying Skill-Building Courses

Courses designed to increase the ability of a student to pursue a course of study leading to a certificate or degree offered by Shoreline Community College may be covered by financial aid. Qualifying skill-building courses acceptable for financial aid will be funded to a maximum of 45 credits. All provisions of the Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy must be met by financial aid recipients. Adult Basic Education (ABE) and English as a Second Language courses (ESLAB) are not eligible for financial aid. Transitional courses including High School Completion, Running Start, CEO, and Parenting Education classes are not eligible for aid.

Rights and Responsibilities for Financial Aid Recipients


All financial aid recipients have the right to review their financial aid file for the accuracy of the information contained therein and submit corrections. Confidential information covered under the Privacy Act may not be reviewed without prior approval of the individual concerned.


Students and their families have the primary responsibility for paying for their educational expenses. In addition to expected contributions from parents, students are expected to contribute from their savings and earnings. Federal and state financial aid programs are intended to supplement, not replace, the resources of a student’s family. Students are responsible for:

  • Knowing when their tuition, fees, and other charges are due
  • Understanding when and how financial aid funds will be available to help pay expenses
  • Ensuring that they have other funds to pay their remaining expenses if financial aid does not cover all expenses
  • Completing all applications clearly and completely, and submitting all additional documentation required by the Financial Aid Office
  • Reading and understanding all information sent to them related to financial aid
  • Knowing the financial aid requirements for Satisfactory Academic Progress
  • Completing all credits each quarter for which they receive financial aid with at least a 2.0 G.P.A
  • Informing the Financial Aid Office if they will receive agency funding or a scholarship to help pay their expenses at Shoreline
  • Notifying the Financial Aid Office immediately when they officially withdraw from classes (or when they withdraw unofficially by stopping attendance in their classes)

Withdrawal From Classes

Should it become necessary for a student to withdraw from classes, he or she can obtain a Schedule Change Form from Enrollment Services. The form should be completed and returned to Enrollment Services so that the Financial Aid Office is notified. Students can also send a request to withdraw to sccadmis@shoreline.edu. 

Withdrawal or Not Completing Credits After Receiving Financial Aid: Requirements for Repayment and Return of Aid:

When students receive financial aid they are expected to complete the credits for which they received the aid. When students officially or unofficially withdraw from the College after they receive financial aid, or if students complete zero credits in any quarter they received financial aid, they might have to repay a portion of the aid they received.

The College uses the federal “Return of Title IV Funds” requirements to calculate the amount of federal financial aid that must be repaid by students and the amount that must be returned to the federal aid programs by the College. This calculation is based on the withdrawal date.

The federal calculations generally use a student’s date of official withdrawal or the last documented date of attendance in class to determine the amount of federal financial aid (Title IV FSA program funds) that the student did not “earn” by remaining enrolled. The amount of Title IV aid funds that the student received in excess of the standard costs of attendance for the time in class must be repaid or returned to the student aid programs. For state aid, the Washington Student Achievement Council (WSAC) refund policy is used to determine the amounts that must be returned to these state aid programs, and to determine the amount of non-institutional expenses for the calculation of state aid that must be repaid by students. Federal funds will be returned in the following allocation order: Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan, Subsidized Federal Direct Loan, Direct PLUS loan, Federal Pell Grant, and FSEOG.

Students are expected to notify the Financial Aid Office immediately when they withdraw officially (or when they withdraw unofficially by stopping attendance in their classes). If students owe a repayment of financial aid, they will not be eligible to receive aid in the future until they have repaid the full amount owed or conditions of repayment agreements have been met.

This policy is subject to change, and a complete copy of the current policy for repayment and return of all aid types is available in the Financial Aid Office.

Concurrent Enrollment

Students are allowed to receive financial aid only from one college for the same enrollment period - they are not allowed to receive aid from two colleges at the same time. Students attending two colleges simultaneously (concurrent enrollment) are eligible to receive aid only from the college at which they are seeking a degree or certificate.

Workforce Education Program

Workforce Education helps pay for your educational costs at Shoreline Community College.

To qualify you can be enrolled in the following:

  • Prerequisites to Professional-Technical Programs
  • Professional-Technical certificates or degrees
  • Adult Basic Education, ESL classes, GED or High School 21+
  • **NEW BFET can pay for Transfer Degrees

Basic Food Employment & Training (BFET)

(206) 546-7843, 5000 Building, Room 5101

Type of Assistance

  • Tuition, fees, books, & required supplies
  • Parking pass or bus pass
  • Childcare assistance from DSHS

Eligibility Requirements

  • Must be receiving DSHS Basic Food Assistance
  • Washington State resident for a year

Opportunity Grant

(206) 546-6961, 5000 Building, Room 5101

Type of Assistance

  • Tuition, fees, books, required supplies

Eligibility Requirements

  • Low income (must provide evidence of income)
  • Washington State resident for a year
  • Have not earned Associates or higher degree from a U.S. school
  • Enrolled in one of the following Professional/Technical Programs:

Accounting, Automotive, Clean Energy Technology & Entrepreneurship, Health Informatics & Information Management, Manufacturing, Microsoft Software Applications certificate, Nursing Assistant Certified, and Visual Communication Technology

Worker Retraining 

(206) 546-6957 • 5000 Building, Room 5101

Type of Assistance

  • Tuition & Fees

Eligibility Requirements

  • Students who are receiving Unemployment Insurance or who have exhausted their Unemployment Insurance in the past 48 months
  • Have received a layoff notice
  • Displaced home-maker
  • Formerly self-employed
  • Veteran


(206) 533-6754 • 5000 Building, Room 5101

The WorkFirst program assists parents receiving TANF/cash assistance to achieve their educational and employment goals.

Type of Assistance

  • Tuition, fees, books
  • Case management support
  • Support services, such as childcare and transportation, may be authorized by DSHS

Eligibility Requirements

  • Be a parent of a child 18 years or younger
  • Currently receiving TANF cash assistance
  • Your DSHS case manager must send a referral to the college

Other Types of Aid

Shoreline Community College Foundation

(206) 546-4755 • 1000 Building, Room 1005


The Shoreline Community College Foundation is dedicated to increasing student access and success at the College through raising funds, building partnerships, and advocating for students and the college. The Foundation offers scholarships and also provides emergency financial assistance to eligible students with pressing needs. The Foundation currently manages a variety of accounts and endowments on behalf of generous donors and departments for the benefit of students. A volunteer board of directors composed of representatives of community leaders, business and industry, alumni, and educators governs the Foundation.

High School Programs

Please check out High School Programs for a variety of programs that offer free or reduced tuition for individuals who have not completed high school.

Select Your Courses

advising@shoreline.edu • (206) 546-4559
5000 Building (FOSS), Room 5229

Prior to registration, students should meet with an advisor to plan which courses they will select for the next quarter. Students determine which classes they need by reviewing their degree progress to-date and planning guides for specific educational goals. Planning guides can be found on the college website. Students should make sure they have prerequisites for each course completed, find the right instructors for their learning style, figure out the scheduling of their classes to meet their work and personal needs, and review how their academic choices align with funding guidelines. This planning can be complicated, and it is strongly recommended to seek assistance from an advisor when selecting courses.

Register for Courses

sccadmis@shoreline.edu • (206) 546-4611 • FOSS 5200

Veterans, other qualified military-connected students, and students with disabilities receive priority registration for classes. Please contact Veterans Programs (manderson4@shoreline.edu, 206-546-4645) or Student Accessibility Services (sas@shoreline.edu, 206-546-4545, TTY 206-546-4520) for assistance in ensuring receipt of priority registration. 

The registration procedure allows continuing students with the largest number of accumulated credits to register first. This permits students to move up in the priority order each quarter they are in attendance. In-person registration may be by written proxy if a student is unable to report at the scheduled time.

All students will be assigned to and are encouraged to consult with an advisor. The signature of an advisor will be required to register only for students who:

  1. Are taking English as a second language classes (ESL);
  2. Are non-immigrants attending on a student visa;
  3. Are pursuing a vocational degree program which requires a competitive admission process;
  4. Are attending Shoreline Community College in the Running Start or High School Completion Program; or
  5. Have met a pre-requisite for a course which is verified by an advisor.

Online Registration

Students at Shoreline Community College can also register online on or after their scheduled appointment date. Online registration is available from the application date through the first week of each quarter.

Automatic Waitlist

Students can put themselves on a waitlist when they register for a full class or check their position on a waitlist. Registration into a waitlisted class is automatic when space becomes available until the waitlist cutoff date. See the quarterly class schedule for specific dates. The signature of the instructor is required to register for a waitlisted class after the waitlist cutoff date.

Change of Registration

Students are encouraged to be enrolled and attending classes on the first day of instruction so they can benefit from participating in a full quarter of class sessions and have the best opportunity to complete their classes successfully.

Students desiring to change their class schedules during the first five days of a quarter may do so online, or complete a class schedule change form and take it to Enrollment Services. No signatures are required except in the case of full or special permission classes, as indicated in the class schedule. It is the student’s responsibility to confirm any schedule changes with Enrollment Services. The advisor’s signature is required if the student wishes to enroll in more than 23 credits in one quarter.

From the 6th through the 10th days of instruction:

  • Adding a class will require that the student submit a late enrollment petition form to the instructor and dean, explaining the reason for requesting late enrollment. A late enrollment request will be granted only in rare and unusual circumstances, with written approval from the instructor and the dean. Students will not be able to enroll in classes after the 10th instructional day of the quarter.
  • Withdrawing from a class is possible without the signature or emailed permission of the instructor.

From the first day of the third week through the first day of the seventh week of the quarter, withdrawal from a class requires the signature or emailed permission of the instructor(s). During this time a grade of “W” will be automatically given for dropped classes. Students can forward their instructor’s email permission to withdraw to sccadmis@shoreline.edu. 

From the second day of the seventh week of the quarter, no “W” grades will be issued. The instructor will assign the proper grade on the grade roster (see Grading System  section of this catalog).

*Summer quarter deadlines differ. Please refer to the Summer class schedule.

Pay Tuition

Payment for tuition and fees is due within 5 business days of registering or by the first day of the quarter, whichever happens first. The payment timeline for Fall differs; see the Fall quarter class schedule for information.

Drop for Nonpayment

Students who fail to pay their tuition in full by the tuition payment deadline may be administratively withdrawn from classes for which no payment was made. After a student is dropped, the College sends an email to a student’s Shoreline email account as notification. Students may re-register for courses at this time, but if classes are full, they will be added to the waitlist.

Schedule of Tuition and Fees

As a Washington state public institution, Shoreline Community College is required to comply with all applicable state laws regarding residency classification. In general, a student is considered a “resident” for tuition and fee purposes under the following conditions:

  1. The student is a US citizen, has permanent resident status, or is otherwise permanently residing in the United States under color of law; and
  2. The student is financially independent** for the current calendar year and the calendar year prior to that in which the application is made; and
  3. The student is in Washington primarily for reasons other than educational and has officially established Washington as his or her true, fixed and permanent home and place of habitation for a period of at least one year prior to the start of the quarter of enrollment.

** If a student is not financially independent, then his/her residency is based on whether one or both parents/legal guardians have met all residency requirements.

Washington state laws require that new residents of Washington change out-of state driver’s licenses and out-of-state vehicle registrations within 30 days of arrival in this state (references: RCW 46.16.028 and RCW46.20.021). New residents should also change out-of state voter registrations. Students will be initially classified as “resident” or “non-resident” based on the information derived from the application for admission.

Other conditions which might qualify a student for resident status are:

  1. Members/dependents of the US military or Washington National Guard; or
  2. Students who are not US citizens and do not have permanent resident immigration status, but attended a Washington state high school for at least 3 years and have graduated, and are eligible for HB1079 and have completed an affidavit for review; or
  3. Members of certain American Indian Tribes (reference RCW 28B.15.0131).

Students should contact Enrollment Services for complete details regarding residency classification. A student wishing to change his or her residency classification must petition the college by completing an original Residency Questionnaire form (obtainable online or in Enrollment Services) and by providing necessary documentation. This should be completed before registration, or no later than 30 days from the start of the quarter.

Tuition Chart

Please use the following table to compute tuition on college credit classes (whether taking classes for credit or audit)

Part Time

    Resident Non-Resident
U.S. Citizen & Eligible Non Citizens
Non-U.S. Citizen
U.S. Citizen,
Online Only
(a) 1 credit $112.42 $204.12 $290.66 $127.38
2 credits $224.84 $408.24 $581.32 $254.76
3 credits $337.26 $612.36 $871.98 $382.14
4 credits $449.68 $816.48 $1,162.64 $509.52
5 credits $562.10 $1,020.60 $1,453.30 $636.90
6 credits $674.52 $1,224.72 $1,743.96 $764.28
7 credits $786.94 $1,428.84 $2,034.62 $891.66
8 credits $899.36 $1,632.96 $2,325.28 $1019.04
9 credits $1,011.78 $1,837.08 $2,615.94 $1,146.42
10 credits $1,124.20 $2,041.20 $2,906.60 $1,273.80
11 credits $1,179.24 $2,100.09 $2,968.92 $1,329.64

Full Time

(b) 12 credits $1,234.28 $2,158.98 $3,031.24 $1,385.48
13 credits $1,289.32 $2,217.87 $3,093.56 $1,441.32
14 credits $1,344.36 $2,276.76 $3,155.88 $1,497.16
  15 credits $1,399.40 $2,335.65 $3,218.20 $1,553.00
(c) 16 credits $1,454.44 $2,394.54 $3,280.52 $1,608.84
17 credits $1,509.48 $2,453.43 $3,342.84 $1,664.68
18 credits $1,564.52 $2,512.32 $3,405.16 $1,720.52
Over 18 per credit $101.42 $185.19 $276.66 $101.42


  1. Notice: All fees are subject to change pending proposed fee increases by the Student Body Association and subsequent approval by the Board ofTrustees, or further clarification of actions by the Legislature. The tuition prices shown here were accurate as this catalog went to press. Tuition is subject to change by the State Legislature and State Board for Community & Technical Colleges.
  2. For purposes of being considered “full-time” for funding from federal and state financial aid programs, Department of Veterans Affairs, Social Security, and most other outside agencies, a student is required to carry at least 12 credits.
  3. An additional operating fee of $96.53, $179.92, $273.95, and $48.13 per credit hour over eighteen (18) is charged for resident, non-resident citizen, non-resident non-citizen, and eligible veteran students, respectively, and may be subject to waiver for required vocational courses.

Payment for tuition and fees are due within 5 business days of registering or by the first day of the quarter, whichever is first.

Student Fees

Audit Fee
Same as credit fee.

Course Challenge (Credit by Examination)
$200 per course. Students should contact an academic advisor or the appropriate instructional division office for more information. Nonrefundable.

Prior Experiential Learning (PEL) Fee
Students may be able to petition for course credit for knowledge and skills acquired through previous experience alone. Please see an academic advisor for more information. $200 per course fee, nonrefundable.

Senior Citizens (60 or Over)
Tuition is waived for up to two regular college credit classes on a space-available basis for credit or audit. There is a $5 fee for this service. Senior citizens must pay all applicable College and class fees.

Special Fees
Many classes require special fees for equipment, laboratory use, materials, or personal instruction. Such fees will be listed in the quarterly class schedule. A special selection process fee will be required when applying to certain programs.

State Employees
Tuition is waived for up to six college credit classes on a space-available basis for credit or audit.There is a $20 fee for this service. State employees must pay all applicable college and class fees.

Student completion fee
An additional $0.50 per credit, up to 10 credits ($5 maximum). This fee is calculated into total charges.

Student Technology Fee
An additional $4.40 per credit fee ($44 maximum) has been approved by Student Government to support technology for students. This fee is calculated into total charges.

Student Union Renovation Fee
$4.40 per credit up to a maximum of $52.80 per quarter.

Sustainability and Commuter Option Fee
Approved by student election, this $23 per quarter fee funds multiple service improvements to the campus such as increased bicycle rack access, parking improvements, and reduced bus pass costs.

Transcript Fee
First two free in person, $5 per transcript, $30 to mail outside of the USA. There is a 3-5 business day processing period. Expedited transcript requests require an additional fee of $20.

Methods of Payment
MasterCard, VISA, cash, debit cards, and personal checks are accepted.

Refunding of Fees
A refund of fees is made either when a student officially withdraws from the College or when there is a partial withdrawal (reduction in credit hours) during the quarterly refund period. Financial aid recipients may be required to repay some or all financial aid upon withdrawal, depending on the type of aid received, the documented last day of attendance, and applicable rules and regulations governing financial aid. For refunds for financial aid recipients, see the Financial Aid section of this catalog.

Refund Policies

Refunds are made according to the following schedule, (some exceptions apply, see Notes below):

Before first week* of the quarter: full refund except for fees listed in the schedule of fees as non-refundable.

During the first week of the quarter: 100% of refundable fees. (Summer Quarter: see class schedule.) Withdrawal is not reflected on student transcript.

Second week of the quarter: 50% of refundable fees. (Summer Quarter: see class schedule.) Withdrawal is not reflected on student transcript.

Third week of the quarter: 50% of refundable fees. (Summer Quarter: see class schedule.) Withdrawal appears as a “W’ on student transcript.

After the third week of the quarter: No refund will be issued. (Summer Quarter: see class schedule.) Students who withdraw from the College without complying with official withdrawal procedures, and students who are asked to withdraw by the College, do not receive a refund of fees.

Example 1: Student A officially withdraws during the first week of the quarter. Whether or not the student attended class, he or she is eligible for a 100% refund.

Example 2: Student B withdraws halfway through the third week of the quarter. The student is eligible for a 50% refund of tuition; the College retains 50%. (See Summer Quarter class schedule for equivalent.)

Note: Financial Aid recipients should refer to the examples in the Financial Aid section, since different regulations and percentages may apply.

Note: Student fees for Continuing Education classes are refundable up to two business days before the class begins. Refunds will be made if a class is cancelled by the College.

Note: Refund policy may differ for shortened or late-starting classes.

* For purposes of this policy a “week” consists of five consecutive days excluding Saturdays, Sundays and official college holidays or the Summer equivalent. (e.g. If the first day of the quarter is a Wednesday, then the first week of the quarter is Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Monday, and Tuesday).


sccadmis@shoreline.edu • (206) 546-4611


Shoreline Community College protects student privacy as required by federal law in the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) of 1974. A student at the College may have all personal information held confidential. The Enrollment & Financial Aid Services Office can provide this special service.

Name Changes

Continuing or returning students are required to submit legal documentation for a change of name as it appears on Shoreline records. Acceptable proof would be a marriage certificate or court order or notarized copy thereof. Picture identification is also required. It is possible to make a temporary change to a preferred name. Students should contact Enrollment & Financial Aid Services at sccadmis@shoreline.edu for information about changing to a preferred name.

Students may request to change to a preferred name by emailing sccacmis@shoreline.edu or contacting the Registrar’s Office.

Student Identification Number (SID)

Students are issued a randomly assigned student identification number at the time of admission. Disclosure of social security numbers is not mandatory, except for the purposes of financial aid, Federal American Opportunity Tax Credit, employment in any position at Shoreline Community College including work-study, and workforce or Employment Security reporting. Voluntary disclosure is authorized for the purposes of academic transcripts and assessment/accountability research. Social security numbers are confidential and will be protected under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.

Student Identification Cards

A new-student I.D. requires valid photo identification (such as a Washington State driver’s license or a passport) and a copy of a class schedule indicating that tuition due has been paid or documentation of a funding resource for tuition payment. The first student I.D. card issued is free. If the I.D. card is lost, stolen, or mutilated, replacement cards are $15. New I.D. cards issued due to a name change cost $5 and the name change must be completed in the Records Department in Enrollment & Financial Aid Services before the new card is issued in the Library, on the second floor.

Transcript Requests

(206) 546-4614 • 5000 Building (FOSS), Second Floor

Requests may be made in person, by mail, or online. The Transcript Request form is available on the second floor of the 5000 building, or on Shoreline’s web site. Online requests must be paid for by credit or debit card.

Obtaining Information

Information kiosks are located in Enrollment & Financial Aid Services (5000 Building), Shoreline Bookstore, and the library, where students may view and print an unofficial copy of their records.

Holds on Student Records

A hold on a student’s record will prevent students from registering and paying online. Students can have holds placed on their records for various reasons:

  1. Students who are under age 16 must meet with Enrollment Services to have the hold removed.
  2. Students who have outstanding debts to the College, such as parking or library fines, will have the hold until their debt is cleared.
  3. Students who have been placed on academic intervention or restriction will have a hold placed on their record until meeting with an advisor and meeting expected quarterly GPA and earned credits (outlined in Academic Standards in this catalog).
  4. Students who are under conduct/disciplinary matters will have the hold per the guidelines outlined by the Conduct Officer.

Enrollment Services requires up to 24 hours to process the release of a hold on a student’s record.