May 29, 2023  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Chemistry/Biochemistry Pre-Major, AS-T1 Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Planning Guides A-Z

Need to print? Click “print degree planner” icon . Do not use the print icon button .

To use this planning guide, check the Class Schedule.

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Science-Transfer (AS-T) Track 1 Degree at Shoreline.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Chemistry or Biochemistry.

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education - 18-20 Credits

Communication (8-10 Credits)

Take ENGL& 101  and either ENGL& 102 , ENGL& 230 , or CMST& 101 .

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Select one of the following courses:

CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , HUM 105 , MCS 105 PSYC 230 , SOC 270 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Humanities and Social Sciences - 15 Credits

Select one course from the Humanities  course list, one course from the Social Sciences  course list, and a third course from either list.

Pre-Major Requirements - 54-59 Credits

Major Science Sequence - Min. 10 Credits for AS degree

Take one of the following course sets:

Chemistry Majors: Choose a physics sequence. Calculus-based physics (PHYS& 221 , PHYS& 222 , PHYS& 223 ) is usually required for Bachelor of Science degrees. Chemistry usually does not require biology unless preparing for a health professional program.

Biochemistry Majors: Choose biology or physics, or both. The biology sequence prepares students for biochemistry classes in the junior year. Physics can be taken after transfer.

Biology: BIOL& 211 , BIOL& 212 , BIOL& 213 

Algebra-based PhysicsPHYS& 114 , PHYS& 115 , PHYS& 116  

Calculus-based Physics: PHYS& 221 , PHYS& 222 , PHYS& 223  

Where can I go for help?

For course information and entry codes, contact:,,

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229  206-546-4559

International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302  206-546-4697

Program Faculty Advisors

Linda Kuehnert   206-546-4575 Rm 2821
Dave Phippen   206-546-4572 Rm 2817
Guy Ting 206-546-4697 Rm 2822
Torrey Stenmark  206-546-4505 Rm 2823
Tiffany Meier   206-546-6953 Rm 5231

Where can I transfer and what does my chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Institutions in Washington State that offer chemistry (C) and biochemistry (BC) majors are listed below. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

Major Information General Transfer Information
Central Washington University (C, BC)
Eastern Washington University (C, BC)
Gonzaga University (C, BC)
Heritage University (C)
Pacific Lutheran University (C, BC)
Seattle Pacific University (C, BC)
Seattle University (C, BC)
The Evergreen State College (C, BC)
University of Puget Sound (C, BC)
University of Washington-Bothell (C)
University of Washington-Seattle (C, BC)
Walla Walla University (C)
Washington State University (C, BC)
Western Washington University (C, BC)
Whitman College (C, BC)
Whitworth University (C, BC)

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Planning Guides A-Z