May 18, 2024  
2022-2023 College Catalog 
2022-2023 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Engineering-General Pre-Major, AS-T2 Planning Guide

Need to print? Click the “print degree planner” icon . Do not use the print icon button .

To use this planning guide, check the Class Schedule.

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Science-Transfer (AS-T) Track 2 at Shoreline.

Select the area(s) of engineering you would like to pursue and consult those Major Preparation Sheet(s).

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Engineering.

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements -18-20 Credits

Communication (8-10 Credits)

Take ENGL& 101  and either ENGL& 102 , ENGL& 230 , or CMST& 101 .

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Select one of the following courses:

HUM 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 , PSYC 230 , SOC 270 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Distribution Requirements - 10 Credits

Humanities (5 Credits)

Choose one course from the Humanities  course list. Recommended: CMST& 220 , CMST& 230 .

Social Sciences (5 Credits)

Choose one course from the Social Sciences  course list. Recommended: ECON& 201 .

Pre-Major Requirements - 33 Credits

Program Specific Courses (27-29 Credits)

Any transfer courses count. A maximum of 5 credits for restricted/vocational course work. Recommended: CHEM 172 /CHEM 182 , CS 121  or CS 143 , , , , , , , , , , , , , , .

Where can I go for help?

For course information and entry codes, contact:;;;,

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229  206-546-4559
Tiffany Meier  206-546-6953 Rm 5233

International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302  206-546-4697

Program Faculty Advisors

Alison Armstrong  206-546-4698 Rm 2810
Stephanie Bartlett 206-546-4579 Rm 5352
Lauren Sandven  206-533-6745 Rm 2812
Nirmala Savage  206-533-6610 Rm 2819
Rosalie Tepper  206-533-6627 Rm 2204

Where can I transfer?

The AS-T makes it possible for students to transfer to a number of public and private colleges and universities in the U.S. with junior standing. Washington State institutions and major programs are listed below.

Central Washington University (EET, IT, MET)
Eastern Washington University (EE, ME, MET)
Gonzaga University (CE, COMPE, EE, ME)
Saint Martin’s University (CE, ME)
Seattle Pacific University (ASE, COMPE, EE, ME)
University of Washington (AE, BE, BSE, CE, CHE, COMPE, EE, HCD, IE, MSE, ME)
Washington State University (BE, CE, CHE, EE, ME, MSE)
Western Washington University (EE, IT, ManE, PCE)
Seattle University (CE, COMPE, EE, ME)
Walla Walla University (BE, CE, COMPE, EE, ME)

*Note: Engineering Majors at WA universities are designated as follows: Aeronautical (AE), Appropriate and Sustainable Engineering (ASE) Bioengineering (BE), Bioresource Science (BSE) Chemical Engineering (CHE), Civil (CE), Computer Engineering (COMPE), Electrical Engineering (EE), Electronics Engineering Technology (EET), Human Centered Design (HCD), Industrial (IE), Industrial Technology (IT), Manufacturing Engineering (ManE), Materials Science (MSE), Mechanical (ME), Mechanical Engineering Technology (MET), Plastics and Composites Engineering (PCE)

What does your chosen four-year school require?

University engineering programs require specific courses for each major. This “Engineering, General” preparation sheet shows the minimum requirements for the Associate in Science Transfer-Track 2 degree. These minimum requirements will not usually meet admissions requirements into the junior year of a specific engineering major. It is recommended that you pursue the Major Related Programs* for one of the following engineering pathways as preparation for a four-year engineering degree. Consult the planning guides for those degrees for more information.

  • Biological and Chemical Engineering (MRP)
  • Computer and Electrical Engineering (MRP)
  • Aeronautical, Civil, Industrial, Manufacturing, Materials Science and Mechanical Engineering, Plastics and Composites (MRP)

* A Major Related Program (MRP) prepares students for entrance into select majors at particular four-year schools. These programs have specific required classes within the AS-T degree, and will be shown on your transcript as a different type of completion than the general AS-T.

Students are encouraged to study the schools and departments to which they plan to apply and work with their academic advisor to make a course plan.