May 22, 2024  
2021-2022 Catalog 
2021-2022 Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Speech and Hearing Sciences Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Planning Guides A-Z

Need to print? Click the “print degree planner” icon . Do not use the print icon button .

To use this planning guide, check the Class Schedule.

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) program in Speech and Hearing Sciences or Communication Disorders.

A master’s degree is considered an entry-level requirement for employment, therefore most students will need to complete a graduate program before they begin to practice in the field.

See also:

Speech Language Pathology Assistant -Shoreline cannot assist students in gaining SLPA licensure. For more information see: and

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

HUM 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 , PSYC 230 , SOC 270 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120 . Recommended: MATH& 146 .

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising,

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: ASL& 121  or other world language, CMST& 101 , CMST& 210 , CMST& 220 .

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses. Recommended: BIOL& 211 , BIOL& 241 , BIOL& 242 PHYS 110 . Strongly recommended: BIOL& 170 , CHEM& 121 , PHYS& 114 .

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Recommended: PSYC& 200 , PSYC& 220 , SOC& 101 , ANTH& 206 , INTST 101 , INTST 200 , INTST 201 . Strongly recommended: PSYC& 100 .

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) . Recommended: ASL& 122 , ASL& 123 .

Where can I go for help?

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229  206-546-4559

International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302  206-546-4697

Program Faculty Advisors

Kira Wennstrom  206-546-4578 Rm 2816
Joyce Fagel  206-546-6984 Rm 2814

Where can I transfer and what does my chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

Students who want to practice in Speech and Language Pathology or Audiology need to complete a master’s or doctoral degree. Admissions for all Master’s degree programs in Washington State require: Completion of a baccalaureate degree in Communication Disorders or Speech and Hearing Sciences, a 3.0 in last 90 quarter credits, Graduate Record Exam (GRE), letter of intent or personal statement, and letters of recommendation.

For students who have a bachelor’s degree in a different major, all universities below offer a post-baccalaureate program designed to prepare students for entry into graduate programs.

Major Information General Transfer Information
Eastern Washington University
University of Washington-Seattle
Washington State University-Spokane
Western Washington University

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Planning Guides A-Z