Jun 17, 2024  
2020-2021 College Catalog 
2020-2021 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Associate in Arts, Individual Plan, AA-IP Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Planning Guides A-Z

Need to print? Use the “print degree planner” icon . Do not use the print icon button .

To use this planning guide, check the Class Schedule.

AA-IP: What is it?

The AA-IP allows students to design an individualized academic program. To earn an AA-IP degree, students must complete a total of 90 credits: 15 credits of General Education Core requirements listed below plus 75 additional transferable credits and a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher. This degree is a transfer Associates degree, but NOT part of the Direct Transfer Agreement (DTA) with Washington state colleges and universities.

What do I need to take?

General Education - 15 Credits

Courses used in Gen Ed Core may not be used for Distribution.

Communication (5 Credits)

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Select one of the following courses:

CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , HUM 105 , MCS 105 PSYC 230  

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120  

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising, mathadvising@shoreline.edu.

Electives (75 Credits)

Physical Education: 3 credits maximum regardless of course’s status

The remaining 75 credits can be made of transferable elective credits, with only 15 credits from restricted electives (see Shoreline Community College Catalog for a list of these courses). Students pursuing the AA-IP are strongly encouraged to consult with an advisor in choosing their courses. With your advisor, you will consider the following questions:

  • What colleges/universities are you considering?
  • What are the application requirements of these schools?
  • What are the general education requirements?
  • Is there a composition requirement beyond ENGL& 101 ?
  • Is there a world language requirement?
  • Are there distribution requirements? In what areas?
  • What major(s) are you considering?
  • What courses are required for the major(s)?
  • What Shoreline courses correspond to requirements at your chosen four-year school(s)?

Is the AA-IP right for me?

For many students, the Associate in Arts (AA-DTA) or the Associate in Science (AS-T) degrees are recommended because they are a part of the Washington State Transfer Agreements. The AA-Individual Plan is a good fit for students who are …

  • planning to transfer to a specific university and want to follow the general education requirements of that school
  • planning to transfer into a specific major with many prerequisites that are required for admission
  • entering Shoreline with a lot of college credits and want to graduate in a timely manner
  • planning to transfer to an out-of-state college or university with no direct transfer agreement

When planning your academic program, please keep in mind:

  • Students must meet the admission requirements of the colleges/universities for which they are applying.
  • This AA Individual Plan (AA-IP) degree does not guarantee admission into any university, program, or major.
  • Students are responsible for completing all General Education and other program requirements of the baccalaureate institution to graduate

Where can I go for help?

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229  206-546-4559  advising@shoreline.edu  www.shoreline.edu/advising

International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302  206-546-4697  ieadvisors@shoreline.edu  www.shoreline.edu/international/advising/

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Planning Guides A-Z