Jun 17, 2024  
2020-2021 College Catalog 
2020-2021 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Health Informatics and Information Management Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Planning Guides A-Z

Need to print? Click the “print degree planner” icon . Do not use the print icon button .

To use this planning guide, check the Class Schedule.

Where does my path start?

There are two paths to transfer for this major depending on your personal prefernces:

A) Associate in Applied Arts & Sciences (AAAS) in Health Informatics and Information Management at Shoreline. This allows you to work in the field. You can continue a Bachelor degree program while working.

B) Study a general degree first, the Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA), followed by a Health Informatics major at a university.

Use the AA-DTA Degree Planning Guide with the information below, or the Health Information Technology, AAAS Planning Guide  to understand the requirements for graduation.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earen a Bachelor’s degree. The program prepares students to take the Registered Health Information Administration (RHIA) national certification exam.

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as programs and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

HUM 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 , PSYC 230 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120 . Recommended: MATH& 146 .

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising, mathadvising@shoreline.edu.

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: CMST& 101 , CMST& 210 , CMST& 220 .

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses. Strongly recommended: BIOL& 170  or BIOL& 241  and BIOL& 242 .

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Strongly recommended: ECON& 201 .

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) . Strongly recommended: HIIM 134 , ACCT& 201 ACCT& 202 .

Where can I go for help?

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229  206-546-4559  advising@shoreline.edu  www.shoreline.edu/advising

International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302  206-546-4697  ieadvisors@shoreline.edu  www.shoreline.edu/international/advising/

Health Informatics and Information Management Faculty Advisors

Gloria Anderson  206-546-4707 ganderso@shoreline.edu Rm 2333
Joyce Fagel  206-546-6984 jfagel@shoreline.edu Rm 2814

What does your chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.).

Use AA-DTA for these schools:

Major Information General Transfer Information
Eastern Washington University https://www.ewu.edu/apply/transfer/
University of Washington -Seattle https://admit.washington.edu/Apply/Transfer/

Use AAAS-HIIM for these schools:

Major Information General Transfer Information
Bellevue College https://www.bellevuecollege.edu/transfer/
DeVry University - online https://www.devry.edu/admissions/transfer-students.html
Western Governors University https://www.wgu.edu/admissions/transfers.html#

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: All Planning Guides A-Z