Jul 30, 2021  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Physician Assistant Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Use the AA -DTA Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school. Almost all Physician Assistant (PA) programs are Master’s Degree and require a Bachelor’s degree for admission. There are a few schools with a Bachelor program in PA, but no longer one in Washington State. PA programs require extensive clinical experience; some schools accept volunteer hours, but others require that you have paid work experience as a health care provider.

Where can I go for help?

Physician Assistant Faculty Advisors

Joyce Fagel
206-546-6984 jfagel@shoreline.edu Rm 5229
Leoned Gines
206-546-4543 lgines@shoreline.edu Rm 2815
Judy Penn
206-546-4782 jpenn@shoreline.edu Rm 2807

For course questions and entry codes:


General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

Career Planning


International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

Where can I transfer?

Students can transfer to a number of public and private colleges and universities in the U.S., but the Direct Transfer Agreement applies only within Washington. Students can choose any major for their Bachelor degree. See the AA-DTA Planning Guide for a list of Washington State colleges and universities.

Where can I study Physician Assistant?

The following colleges in Washington offer a degree in Masters of Science or Masters of Public Health in Physician Assistant. They require a Bachelor Degree and specific courses for admission

School Transfer Information
University of Washington - Seattle, Spokane and Tacoma https://admit.washington.edu/Apply/Transfer/
Heritage University - Toppenish http://www.heritage.edu/admissions/transfer-students/

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120  

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising, mathadvising@shoreline.edu.

Required for PA admission at most schools: MATH& 146 .

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: CMST& 101 , CMST& 220 .

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses.

Required for PA Admission at most schools: BIOL& 211 , BIOL& 260 , CHEM& 121 .

Recommended: Physician Assistant Programs outside of Washington State often require additional courses in Chemistry, such as CHEM 171 /CHEM 181 , CHEM 172 /CHEM 182 , and CHEM 173 /CHEM 183 .

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Recommended: ANTH& 206 , PSYC& 100 , PSYC& 200 , SOC& 101 , SOC& 201 .

General Electives (Minimum 25 Credits)

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) .

Required for PA admission at most schools: BIOL& 241 , BIOL& 242 .

Recommended: Additional credits in medically related sciences, e.g., CHEM& 131 , MATH& 141 .

More information about programs in Physician Assistant.

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Two good resources are the American Association of Physician Assistants (www.aapa.org) and the Physician Assistant Education Association (www.paeaonline.org). Below is information about the two Washington schools. Students need to apply through the Centralized Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA) between May 1 and Oct. 1. A secondary application is also required for each school; check each school for deadlines.

School Degrees & Requirements SCC Courses
  Master’s in Clinical Health Services (MCHS  
University of Washington

MEDEX Northwest is the University of Washington’s Physician Assistant program. All applicants must have at least one year (2,000 hours) of paid clinical work experience providing direct delivery of medical care to patients or work in an allied health field such as x-ray technology, respiratory therapy, pharmacy, etc. Competitive MEDEX candidates average a total of 6.5 years patient care experience.

Strongly recommended that science pre-requisites be completed within the last 5-7 years. Recommended courses: biochemistry (CHEM& 131), genetics, sociology and/or psychology and/or anthropology.

Admission to the Master’s Program: A Bachelor’s degree is required for admission in a major of your choice, along with scores from the Graduate Record Exam (GRE).

Course requirements must be completed by Oct 1 deadline with a minimum 2.7 grade: CHEM& 121 BIOL& 211 , BIOL& 241 +BIOL& 242 , and BIOL& 260 , MATH& 146 , ENGL& 101  and another ENGL course.

For admission to the Anchorage program college algebra (MATH 111  or MATH& 141 ) and PSYC& 100  and PSYC& 200  are also required.

  Master’s of Science in Physician Assistant Studies  
Heritage University, Toppenish, WA Admission requires a Bachelor’s degree in a major of your choice. A minimum of 1,000 hours of “hands-on” patient contact work experience. All prerequisites must be completed by Jan 1. TOEFL is required if English is not your first language and your undergraduate degree is outside the US. Must have a 3.0 in each course: CHEM& 121 , BIOL& 211 , BIOL& 241 , BIOL& 242 , BIOL& 260 , One college course in math or statistics or physics

What is Physician Assistant?

Physician Assistants (P.A.) work directly under the supervision of doctors; they examine patients, order diagnostic tests, prescribe medication, and perform basic medical procedures to treat common illnesses and injuries. Most P.A.s work in primary care while others may specialize in such areas as surgery, pediatrics or emergency services.

Areas of Study in Physician Assistant: Anatomy and Physiology, Pathophysiology, Pharmacology, Family Practice , Clinical Medicine, Maternal and Child Health, Emergency Medicine, Behavioral Medicine, Rural Healthcare and Underrepresented Populations, Medical Procedures, Public Health, Leadership and Management, Professional and Medical Ethics.

What can I do with a degree in Physician Assistant?

Physician Assistants (PA) develop strong critical thinking, problem solving, communication and technical skills to provide direct patient care in a number of health care settings. In addition to patient care, PA’s manage health care facilities, conduct research, teach classes, promote wellness, and provide leadership in the health care field.

Potential employers include: Hospitals, health care clinics, physician’s office, colleges and universities, in-home health care, government agencies, non-profit organizations, business and industry. For more, please visit career information and resources at http://www.shoreline.edu/counseling-center/career-counseling.aspx.

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type