Jul 21, 2024  
2019-2020 College Catalog 
2019-2020 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Nutrition and Food Science Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Health & Medicine Pre-Majors

How to use this Planning Guide:

This planning guide is a tool to help you understand what classes are recommended for this pre-major; review this information with your advisor as you develop an educational plan. 

  • Use the fillable AA-DTA Degree Planning Guide  with the information below to plan your path to completing this pre-major. 
  • Click on “print degree planner” for a print-friendly version of this planning guide
  • The Class Schedule will tell you which classes each quarter meet requirements for your pre-major. 
  • The Annual Schedule  can provide information about when classes are typically offered throughout the year.

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a Bachelor’s of Science in Nutrition and Food Science. Some Nutrition and Food Science programs require additional science and math courses beyond what is required by the AA-DTA degree. Consult with an advisor for options; you may want to consider an Associate in Science Transfer (AS-T) Track 1 degree.

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

HUM 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 PSYC 230 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120 . Recommended: MATH& 141  or MATH& 146 ; MATH 111 . Strongly recommended: MATH& 146 .

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising, mathadvising@shoreline.edu.

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: CMST& 220  (required for WSU and Bastyr), PHIL 240  (required for WSU), World Language if required for university admission or graduation.

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses. Recommended: BIOL& 211 , CHEM& 121 , CHEM 171 /CHEM 181 , MATH& 151 , NUTR& 101 . Strongly recommended: BIOL& 211 , CHEM& 121 , NUTR& 101 .

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Recommended: ECON& 201  (required for UW), PSYC& 100  (required for Bastyr, SPU and WSU).

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) .


Where can I go for help?

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

Career Planning


Nutrition and Food Science Faculty Advisors

Alison Leahy
206-546-5891 aleahy@shoreline.edu Rm 5334
Joyce Fagel
206-546-6984 jfagel@shoreline.edu Rm 2814

Where can I transfer and what does my chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the  department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

School Transfer Information
Bastyr University (Nutrition, Herbal Science) https://bastyr.edu/admissions/transfer-students
Seattle Pacific University (Food and Nutritional Sciences) http://tinyurl.com/z46xxxr
Washington State University-Pullman (Food Science) http://tinyurl.com/jk3a2v2
Washington State University-Spokane (Nutrition) http://tinyurl.com/k8hhb33
University of Washington-Seattle (Nutrition) https://admit.washington.edu/apply/transfer/

*Note: Central Washington University has a Minor (but not a Major), and a Masters in Nutrition.

What is Nutrition and Food Science?

Nutritionists and Food Scientists understand the impact of quality food and proper nutrition on good health. Nutritionists provide direct patient care and large scale dietetic management through nutritional counseling, dietetic evaluations, menu planning, and patient monitoring, while Food Scientists often work directly with food processing and production to ensure proper nutrition, quality control, public health and safety.

Areas of study in Nutrition/Food Science: Nutrition, Diet Therapy, Nutrition Education, Food Systems Management, Food Safety, Food Chemistry and Engineering, Food Microbiology, Sensory Food Evaluation, Food Processing and Product Development. Certification as a Registered Dietitian or Certified Nutritionist requires supervised clinical training and passing a national registration exam.

What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Nutrition and Food Science?

Graduates in Nutrition and Food Science work in nutrition consulting, community health agencies, school nutrition programs, fitness and wellness programs, and specialty clinics. Food science opportunities include food safety and inspection, food service and management, food science and engineering, teaching, technical sales and marketing, quality assurance and control, food processing and production, research and development. Registered Dietitians and Certified Nutritionists work with patients, clients, doctors and nurses to develop specialized nutrition plans and support individuals’ diet changes.

Potential employers include: schools, hospitals, medical centers, nursing homes, health care facilities, food manufacturers, public health institutes, colleges and universities, restaurants, hotels, food and drug administration and other government agencies For more, please visit http://www.shoreline.edu/counseling-center/career-counseling.aspx.

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696



Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Health & Medicine Pre-Majors