Shoreline Community College offers a short-term Biotechnology Lab Specialist Certificate of Completion (CC) to prepare students for an entry-level position in laboratories involved in the production of genetically engineered drugs, gene therapy, microbiology, virology, forensic science, agriculture and environmental science. This program is designed for post-baccalaureate students. Students pursuing a four-year baccalaureate degree should follow the Biological Sciences Pre-Major (AS-T1) planning guide.
206-546-4747 firstname.lastname@example.org Rm 2814
Certificate of Completion (37-38 Credits)
Note: Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this publication. However, the information is subject to change without notice and final career decisions are the responsibility of the student.
Length of Program: 37-38 Credits
Completion Award: Certificate of Completion
Approximate Quarterly Costs: $660/yr for lab fees
(in addition to tuition, books and parking)
Meet with an advisor to identify courses from the Program Prerequisite list below that must be taken before starting the Core Biotech Sequence of classes. Students entering the program must have received at least a 2.0 in each of these classes (or an equivalent course) within the last 5 years. Professional experience will also be considered.
Total Credits Required (37-38)
Students should automatically receive their Certificate after successful completion of all required courses. If you have not received your Certificate, please contact Jenifer Aydelotte in the office of Student Learning and Success at email@example.com or 206-546-4719.
Biotechnology Lab Specialist -What is it?
The Biotechnology Laboratory Specialist Program prepares students for work in laboratories involved in any aspect of biotechnical processes. The curriculum provides a foundation in a variety of math and science disciplines including algebra, statistics, chemistry, biology, microbiology and computer science. Students gain a working knowledge of molecular biology, recombinant DNA, immunology, protein purification, bioinformatics and tissue culture, both through classroom lectures and extensive “hands-on” laboratory learning experiences.
Students who successfully complete this program -by achieving a GPA of 2.0 or better for the entire program- should be able to:
- Assist research scientists in the laboratory;
- Perform technical procedures such as cell counting, solution and media preparation, DNA extraction and characterization, electrophoresis, cloning, polymerase chain reaction, DNA sequence analysis, ELISA and other immunology techniques, maintenance of cell lines transfection, protein isolation and purification using various chromatographic techniques;
- Conduct research experiments following operating and safety protocols and apply knowledge of theory and techniques to troubleshoot appropriately;
- Analyze and display data using computer technology including the Internet and software designed for maintaining a database, preparing spreadsheets, conducting statistical analysis, bioinformatics, and graphical display; and
- Manage laboratory activities including record keeping, ordering supplies, and preparing reports.
Career Opportunities-What can I do with a Biotechnology Lab Specialist Certificate of Completion?
The career outlook in the field of biotechnology is very promising with over 100 biotechnology related facilities in the Seattle metropolitan area. The proliferation of new technologies is expanding employment opportunities in research, production, development and manufacturing; examples include work as a Laboratory Assistant, Lab Specialist or Research Assistant.
Potential employers include: University or privately owned biotechnology research and production labs; pharmaceutical or criminal labs; and fisheries, oceanographic and other nature resource management organizations. For more, please visit career information and resources at http://www.shoreline.edu/counseling-center/career-counseling.aspx.
Shoreline Community College
16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696