Apr 15, 2021  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Dentistry Pre-Major, AS-T1 Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Science-Transfer (AS-T) Track 1 at Shoreline.

Use the AS-T Track 1 Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation.

A typical next step would be to complete a Bachelor’s degree at a four-year school, then apply for Doctor of Dental Surgery (D.D.S.) programs during your senior year or after completing the Bachelor’s degree. Although a Bachelor’s degree is not required for all dental schools, very few students without a Bachelor’s degree are selected for admission.

Where can I go for help?

Program Faculty Advisors

Linda Kuehnert
206-546-4575 lkuehnert@shoreline.edu Rm 2821
Dave Phippen
206-546-4572 dphippen@shoreline.edu Rm 2817
Torrey Stenmark
206-546-4505 tstenmark@shoreline.edu Rm 2823
Guy Ting
206-546-4692 gting@shoreline.edu Rm 2822
Joyce Fagel
206-546-6984 jfagel@shoreline.edu Rm 5229

For course information and entry codes, contact:


General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

International Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

Career Planning


Where can I transfer for a Bachelor’s degree?

The AS-T makes it possible for students to transfer to public and private colleges and universities in the U.S. with junior standing (please see the AS-T Track 1 Degree Planning Guide for a list of schools) The courses recommended to prepare for a Dentistry program align well with majors in chemistry, biochemistry, and biology; however, a science-related major is not required to apply to most Dentistry programs.

Where can I study Dentistry?

The only school in Washington state that offers a Dentistry program is the University of Washington, Seattle campus.

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your pathway. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education - 18-20 Credits

Communication (8-10 Credits)

Take ENGL& 101  and either ENGL& 102 , ENGL& 230 , or CMST& 101 .

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Select one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105  

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Humanities and Social Sciences - 15 Credits

Select one course from the Humanities  course list, one course from the Social Sciences  course list, and a third course from either list.

Pre-Major Requirements - 29.5 Credits

Pre-Major Requirements - 15-21 Credits

Select any two biology, chemistry, or physics sequences from the list below to complete the AS degree; DDS programs require all three sequences.

Biology: BIOL& 211 , BIOL& 212 , BIOL& 213  

Algebra-based Physics: PHYS& 114 , PHYS& 115 , PHYS& 116 , -OR-

Calculus-based Physics: PHYS& 221 , PHYS& 222 , PHYS& 223  

Chemistry: CHEM& 241 /CHEM 271 , CHEM& 242 /CHEM 272 , CHEM& 243 /CHEM 273  

Electives - Microbiology and Biochemistry

These courses are not required for the AS-T degree. They are prerequisites for the Dentistry School, and are often taken after transfer to a university. Dental schools may have additional required courses, such as Human Anatomy & Physiology, Microbiology, and Biochemistry. This varies by school. The University of Washington requires two microbiology courses (e.g. BIOL& 260  and BIOL 277  ) and biochemistry (at SCC this is CHEM 255  and CHEM 256 .).

Biology: BIOL& 260 , BIOL 277  

Chemistry: CHEM 255 , CHEM 256  

More information about programs in Dentistry

Dental School Application information:

For details, see the American Dental Education Association web site: www.adea.org Annual deadline is Nov. 1 for the American Association of Dental Schools Application Service (AADSAS). It is better to apply much sooner, such as June or July, as interviews begin in October. The Dental Admission Test is required and must be taken by October 31: www.ada.org/prof/ed/testing/dat/index.asp. Preparation for dental school must also include development of personal skills and characteristics, such as interpersonal communication, multicultural understanding, leadership, and ethics. In addition it is vital that students gain experience in the dental field by volunteering and job shadowing.

University of Washington-D.D.S. Doctor of Dental Surgery

The State of Washington has one dentistry program at the University of Washington. The UW admits 55 students each year from a large and competitive group of applicants. The average overall GPA of admitted students is 3.6 with an average science GPA of 3.55 While the program does not require completion of a bachelor’s degree, most applicants do have one. The Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) is a four year program.

Contact information:

Memory Brock, Office of Admissions, Dental School
Phone: 206-543-5840
E-mail: askuwsod@u.washington.edu
Website: www.dental.washington.edu;

The Delta Delta Sigma UW student pre-dental club is open to all prospective students. Contact dental@u.washington.edu

Dentistry - What is it?

Dentistry is a branch of medicine involving all aspects of the oral health care. Dentists are trained to evaluate, diagnose, treat and prevent diseases and conditions of the teeth, gums and surrounding tissues.

Areas of study in Dentistry: Basic health sciences, dental anatomy, epidemiology of oral diseases, diagnosis and treatment of dental conditions and diseases, dental pharmacology, surgical procedures, orthodontics, dental restoration, dental hygiene, public health, professional ethics, clinical practice and management.

What can I do with a degree in Doctor in Dental Surgery (DDS)?

Dentists develop skills to administer anesthetics, prescribe medicine, fill cavities, examine x-rays, extract teeth, straighten teeth and treat gum disease. While most dentists are general practitioners working in private practices, other dentists specialize in orthodontics, oral surgery, pediatric dentistry, periodontics, prosthodontics and public health. Dentists must be licensed by a state in order to practice.

Potential employers include: Private dental practice, hospitals, health care clinics, military service and other government agencies, colleges and universities. For more, please visit http://www.shoreline.edu/counseling-center/career-counseling.aspx.

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type