May 24, 2020  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Biological Sciences Pre-Major, AS-T1 Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Science-Transfer (AS-T) Track 1 degree at Shoreline.

Use the AS-T Track 1 Degree Planning Guide, with this guide, to understand the requirements for graduation.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biological Sciences.

Biological Sciences are excellent preparation for graduate studies in biology, genetics, biomedical sciences, dentistry, law, medicine and education.

Where can I go for help?

Program Faculty Advisors

Leoned Gines
206-546-4543 Rm 2815
Matt Loper
206-546-4683 Rm 5351
Adria Magrath
206-546-4550 Rm 2808
Judy Penn
206-546-4782 Rm 2807
Kira Wennstrom
206-546-4578 Rm 2816
Tiffany Meier
206-546-6953 Rm 5231

Career Planning

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

International Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

Where can I transfer and what is required at my chosen school?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

School Transfer Information
Bastyr University
Central Washington University
Eastern Washington University
Gonzaga University
Heritage University
Northwest University
Pacific Lutheran University
Saint Martin’s University
Seattle Pacific University
Seattle University
The Evergreen State College
University of Puget Sound
University of Washington - Bothell
University of Washington - Seattle
Walla Walla University
Washington State University
Western Washington University
Whitman College
Whitworth University

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education - 18-20 Credits

Communication (8-10 Credits)

Take ENGL& 101  and either ENGL& 102 , ENGL& 230 , or CMST& 101 .

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Select one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105  

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Humanities and Social Sciences - 15 Credits

Select one course from the Humanities  course list, one course from the Social Sciences  course list, and a third course from either list.

Pre-Major Requirements (54-59 Credits)

Major Science Sequence

 (Minimum 10 Credits for AS-T, Track 1 degree)

Recommended for molecular biology, biochemistry, and microbiology majors:

PHYS& 114 , PHYS& 115 , and PHYS& 116  OR PHYS& 221 , PHYS& 222 , and PHYS& 223 , OR CHEM& 241 /CHEM 271 , CHEM& 242 /CHEM 272 , and CHEM& 243 /CHEM 273  

Recommended for gneral biology, botany or zoology majors:

Take Phys or Chem above OR an additional 100 or 200 level Biology

Recommended for conservation and ecological biology majors:

ENVS& 101  and ENVS 202  or GEOG 203 , GEOG 204 , or GEOL& 101 , or BIOL 124  or BIOL 144 ; OR 10-15 credits from PHYS& 114 , PHYS& 115 , and PHYS& 116  or PHYS& 221 , PHYS& 222 , and PHYS& 223  

Biological Sciences - What is it?

Biological Sciences is the study of all living organisms, encompassing plants, animals and microorganisms. From molecular and cellular biology to genetics, ecosystems and evolution, Biological Sciences is one of the broadest fields in science.

Areas of study in Biological Sciences: Botany/plant science, ecology, wildlife biology, zoology, entomology, genetics, microbiology, biomedical science, cellular and molecular biology, pathology, virology and neurobiology.

What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Biological Sciences?

Graduates in Biological Sciences develop strong critical thinking, problem solving and technical skills for entry-level positions as laboratory assistants, research assistants and technicians in various work environments. Advanced degrees and licensures are often required for professional advancement in Biological Sciences.

Potential employers include: Zoos and aquariums, wildlife preserves, state and federal government agencies such as the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife, environmental protection agencies and public health departments; non-profit medical and environmental organizations, biotechnology companies, scientific instrument companies, hospitals, public and private schools, colleges and universities. For more, please visit

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type