Jun 18, 2021  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Speech and Hearing Sciences Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Use the AA -DTA Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) or Bachelor of Science (B.S.) program in Speech and Hearing Sciences or Communication Disorders.

A master’s degree is considered an entry-level requirement for employment, therefore most students will need to complete a graduate program before they begin to practice in the field.

See also: www.asha.org/advocacy/state/info/WA/licensure/

Where can I go for help?

Program Faculty Advisors

Kira Wennstrom
206-546-4578 kwennstrom@shoreline.edu Rm 2816
Joyce Fagel
206-546-6984 jfagel@shoreline.edu Rm 2814

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

Career Planning


International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

Speech Language Pathology Assistant -Shoreline cannot assist students in gaining SLPA licensure. For more information see: http://www.asha.org/associates/SLPA-FAQs/ and http://wslha.wordpress.com/2010/03/13/frequently-asked-questions-for-slpa-certification/

Where can I transfer and what does my chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

Students who want to practice in Speech and Language Pathology or Audiology need to complete a master’s or doctoral degree. Admissions for all Master’s degree programs in Washington State require: Completion of a baccalaureate degree in Communication Disorders or Speech and Hearing Sciences, a 3.0 in last 90 quarter credits, Graduate Record Exam (GRE), letter of intent or personal statement, and letters of recommendation.

For students who have a bachelor’s degree in a different major, all universities below offer a post-baccalaureate program designed to prepare students for entry into graduate programs.

School Transfer Information
Eastern Washington University https://www.ewu.edu/apply/transfer/
University of Washington-Seattle https://admit.washington.edu/Apply/Transfer/
Washington State University-Spokane https://tinyurl.com/k8hhb33
Western Washington University http://www.wwu.edu/vtc/

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120 . Recommended: MATH& 146 .

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising, mathadvising@shoreline.edu.

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: ASL& 121  or other world language, CMST& 101 , CMST& 210 , CMST& 220 .

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses. Recommended: BIOL& 211 , BIOL& 241 , BIOL& 242 PHYS 110 .

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Recommended: PSYC& 200 , PSYC& 220 , SOC& 101 , ANTH& 206 , INTST 101 , INTST 200 , INTST 201 .

Strongly Recommended:

Selected Courses:

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) . Recommended: ASL& 122 , ASL& 123 .

Speech and Hearing Sciences - What is it?

Speech and Hearing Sciences prepares students to work with patients who have speech, language or hearing disorders. Typically, speech pathologists treat clients with speech and language problems, while audiologists assess, diagnose and treat hearing loss and balance disorders. In both professions, early detection and prevention screening are important for the treatment and remediation of communication disorders.

Areas of Study in Speech and Language Sciences: Phonetics, Audiometry, Speech Anatomy and Physiology, Neuroanatomy, Language Development, Language and Literacy, Motor Speech Disorders, Hearing Disorders, Aural Rehabilitation, Dysphasia, Cleft Palate and Craniofacial Disorders, Assessment and Diagnostics, Bilingual and Cultural Issues, Research Methods and Professional Ethics.

What can I do with a graduate degree in speech pathology?

The field of Communication Disorders requires graduate study, certification and licensure to practice. Speech Pathologists and Audiologists develop strong communication, critical thinking, problem solving and technical skills to identify, evaluate, manage and treat people with communication disorders. While most Speech Pathologists and Audiologists work in public schools, others teach, conduct research and serve as consultants to government and industry.

Potential employers include: Public and private schools, hospitals, nursing homes, rehabilitation centers, government agencies, private practice, business and industry. For more, please visit http://www.shoreline.edu/counseling-center/career-counseling.aspx.

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type