Aug 20, 2019  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Secondary Education Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Use the AA -DTA Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation. Use this guide with the Major Preparation Sheet for the discipline or major area of study you want to teach.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a baccalaureate degree in an area of study that you plan to teach.

Where can I go for help?

Secondary Education Faculty Advisors

Contact faculty in the specific discipline or major area of study that you want to teach.

Career Planning

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

Where can I transfer and what does my chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. The following colleges in Washington offer a bachelor’s degree with certification in Secondary Education (U), a graduate degree program with certification in Secondary Education (G), or both, which may require specific courses for admission. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

School Transfer Information
Antioch University (U,G)
City University of Seattle (G)
Central Washington University (U,G)
Eastern Washington University (U,G)
Gonzaga University (U,G)
Heritage University (U,G)
Northwest University (U,G)
Pacific Lutheran University (U,G)
Saint Martin’s University (U,G)
Seattle Pacific University (U,G)
Seattle University (G)
The Evergreen State College (G)
University of Puget Sound (G)
University of Washington - Bothell (G)
University of Washington - Seattle (G)
University of Washington - Tacoma (G)

Walla Walla University (U,G)
Washington State University (U,G)
Western Washington University (U,G)
Whitworth University (U, G)

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120 . Recommended: See Major Preparation Sheet for the recommended Math for your major.

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising,

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: CMST& 101 , CMST& 220 , World Language if required for university admission or graduation.

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses.

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Recommended: PSYC& 100 , PSYC& 200 , SOC& 101 .

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) . Recommended: See Major Preparation Sheet for the recommended General Electives for your major.

What is Secondary Education?

Secondary Education programs prepare teachers to teach in middle schools and high schools. In addition to completing a teacher education program and residency certificate, students must complete a baccalaureate degree in a subject area that is endorsed by the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) in Washington State. Some universities offer teacher education programs that can be completed within a bachelor’s degree, while others offer a post-baccalaureate certification program or certification in conjunction with a graduate degree program.

What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Secondary Education?

Secondary education teachers have the knowledge, skills and credentials to teach in middle schools and high schools, as well as many other career fields depending on their area of expertise.

Potential employers include: Private and public middle schools and high schools, boards of education, federal, state and local governments, Health and Human Services, business, private foundations, and non-profit organizations. For more, please visit

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Catalog Search