Apr 15, 2021  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Public and Community Health Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Use the AA -DTA Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a Bachelor of Science degree in Public or Community Health. Public and Community Health are excellent majors for graduate studies in Public Health, Global Health, Business, Law and Education.

Where can I go for help?

Public and Community Health Faculty Advisors

Leoned Gines
206-546-4543 lgines@shoreline.edu Rm 2815
Judy Penn
206-546-4782 jpenn@shoreline.edu Rm 2807
Joyce Fagel
206-546-6984 jfagel@shoreline.edu Rm 2814

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

Career Planning


International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

What does your chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

School Transfer Information
Central Washington University http://www.cwu.edu/admissions/transfer-admission-criteria
Eastern Washington University https://www.ewu.edu/apply/transfer/
The Evergreen State College http://tinyurl.com/zhyjy3s
University of Washington - Bothell https://www.uwb.edu/admissions/apply/transfer
University of Washington - Seattle https://admit.washington.edu/Apply/Transfer/
Western Washington University http://www.wwu.edu/vtc/

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120 . Recommended: MATH& 146  or MATH 211 .

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising, mathadvising@shoreline.edu.

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: CMST& 101 , CMST& 220 , CMST& 230 .

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses. Recommended: BIOL& 211 , BIOL& 241 , BIOL& 242 , BIOL& 260 , NUTR& 101 , CHEM& 121 , CHEM 171 /CHEM 181 .

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Recommended: ANTH& 206 , POLS& 202 , POLS& 203 , PSYC& 100 , PSYC& 200 , PSYC 245 , SOC& 101 , SOC& 201 , SOC 250 .

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) . Recommended: Select courses depending on requirements at transfer institution; BIOL 150 , HIIM 134 .

What is Public and Community Health?

Public and Community Health is concerned with the health and wellness of local, national and global communities. Through strong public relations, community organization, public policy and health education, Public Health professionals assess, evaluate, plan and promote community health programs to aid in the prevention of illness and spread of disease.

Areas of Public and Community Health: Community Organization, Health Assessment, Health Promotion, Stress Management, Consumer Health, Program Planning, Human Sexuality, Drugs and Society, Infectious Disease, Epidemiology, Community and International Health.

What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Public and Community Health?

Public and Community Health professionals develop the knowledge and skills to develop policies, assess risks, manage programs, conduct research, and engage in community outreach to promote public health. As such, graduates in Public and Community Health are able to work in variety of health care and community settings.

Potential employers include: Government agencies, including the Center for Disease Control, National Institute of Health, Department of Health and Human Services and the World Health Organization; health care clinics, hospitals, colleges and universities, consulting firms and non-profit organizations. For more, please visit career information and resources at http://www.shoreline.edu/counseling-center/career-counseling.aspx.

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type