Apr 16, 2021  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Physical Therapy Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Area of Study

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Use the AA -DTA Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a Bachelor of Arts or Science degree. Physical Therapy is a post baccalaureate, graduate level professional program leading to a Doctoral degree. Students must complete graduate course work, clinical fieldwork and be licensed in the state to practice. Provided students meet program prerequisites, they are encouraged to major in any liberal arts degree of interest. For more information:



Where can I go for help?

Physical Therapy Faculty Advisors

Kira Wennstrom
206-546-4578 kwennstrom@shoreline.edu Rm 2816
Movakel Sargizi
206-546-4569 msargizi@shoreline.edu Rm 2813
Joyce Fagel
206-546-6984 jfagel@shoreline.edu Rm 5229

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

Career Planning


International Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

Where can I transfer and what does my chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. While completing your Bachelor’s degree at any university, complete the courses and other requirements for Physical Therapy schools. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.) For more information contact The American Physical Therapy Association at www.apta.org/

School Transfer Information
Eastern Washington University https://www.ewu.edu/apply/transfer/
University of Puget Sound http://tinyurl.com/h7yqx8s
University of Washington https://admit.washington.edu/Apply/Transfer/

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105  

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120 .

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising, mathadvising@shoreline.edu.

Strongly Recommended:

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level.

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses.

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Recommended: ANTH& 206 , PSYC& 100 , PSYC& 200 , PSYC& 220 .

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) . Recommended: CHEM 173 /CHEM 183 , PHYS& 116  (EWU and UPS); take courses that apply toward major for your bachelor degree.

What is Physical Therapy?

Physical Therapists diagnose and treat patients with limited movement or mobility due to medical conditions, illness or injury. They evaluate physical problems and develop treatment plans to help reduce pain, restore function or movement, and/or resolve the dysfunctional condition to achieve optimum physical functioning.

Areas of Study in Physical Therapy: Neuroscience, Neuroanatomy, Biophysics, Pathology, Pharmacology, Radiology, Cardiopulmonary Therapy, Orthopedic Evaluation, Physical Intervention and Rehabilitation, Therapeutic Exercise, Ambulatory Function, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Leadership and Management, Health Care Policy, Professional and Medical Ethics and Clinical Practice.

What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Physical Therapy?

Physical Therapists develop strong critical thinking, assessment, problem solving, communication and technical skills applicable to a number of health care settings. In addition to providing direct patient care, Physical Therapists consult with other health care providers, conduct research, teach courses, promote wellness, develop public policy and provide leadership in the health care field.

Potential employers include: Hospitals, schools, rehabilitation centers, private clinics, nursing homes, public schools, colleges and universities and government agencies. For more, please visit career information and resources at http://www.shoreline.edu/counseling-center/career-counseling.aspx.

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Area of Study