May 16, 2021  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Occupational Therapy Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Use the AA -DTA Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn Bachelor of Arts or Science degree. Occupational Therapy is a post baccalaureate, graduate level professional program leading to a Master’s degree. Students must complete graduate course work, supervised, clinical fieldwork and be licensed in the state to practice. Provided students meet program prerequisites, they are encouraged to major in any liberal arts degree of interest. For more information:

Where can I go for help?

Occupational Therapy Faculty Advisors

Leoned Gines
206-546-4543 Rm 2815
Judy Penn
206-546-4782 Rm 2807
Joyce Fagel
206-546-6984 Rm 5229

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

Career Planning

International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

Where can I transfer and what does my chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. While completing the Bachelor degree in a major of your choice, continue to take remaining prerequisite courses and pursue health care and other experiences to become a strong candidate. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.) For more information contact The American Occupational Therapy Association at

School Transfer Information
Eastern Washington University
University of Puget Sound
University of Washington - Seattle

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105  

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120 .

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising,

Strongly Recommended:

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level.

Strongly Recommended:

Selected Courses:

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses.

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences .

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) . Recommended: HIIM 134 , PSYC& 100 , PSYC 208 , take courses that apply toward an academic major for your bachelor degree.

What is Occupational Therapy?

Occupational Therapy helps people with injuries, illness or disabilities to live better, fuller and productive lives. Occupational Therapists analyze and assess human movement, neurological development, performance, motivation and human environments to develop therapeutic goals and treatment plans for individuals. They often specialize in working with children and adolescents or in the fields of geriatrics, mental health, disabilities and/or physical rehabilitation.

Areas of study in Occupational Therapy: Neuroscience, Kinesiology, Exercise Physiology, Physical and Industrial Rehabilitation, Human Behavior, Therapeutic Communication, Performance Analysis, Mental Health Care, Pediatrics, Geriatrics, Community Based Health Care, Leadership and Management, Health Care Policy, Professional and Medical Ethics.

What can I do with a Master’s Degree in Occupational Therapy?

Occupational Therapists develop strong critical thinking, assessment, problem solving, communication and technical skills that can be applied to a number of health care settings. Occupational Therapists provide direct patient care, conduct research, develop health care policies, teach, promote wellness, and provide leadership in the health care field.

Potential employers include: Hospitals, schools, rehabilitation centers, mental health facilities, nursing homes, home health care, colleges and universities, government agencies, non-profit organizations, business, industry and private practice. For more, please visit career information and resources at

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type