Dec 10, 2019  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Music Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Use the AA -DTA Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn Bachelor of Arts in Music or a Bachelor of Music program.

Music is also an excellent major for graduate studies in Music, Humanities, Social Sciences, Business and Education.

Where can I go for help?

Music Faculty Advisors

Jeff Junkinsmith
206-546-4605 Rm 808
Doug Reid
206-546-4759 Rm 812
Alicia Zweifach
206-533-6639 Rm 5324

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

Career Planning

International Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

Where can I transfer and what does my chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements.

School Transfer Information
Central Washington University
Cornish College of the Arts
Eastern Washington University
Gonzaga University
Northwest University
Pacific Lutheran University
Saint Martin’s University
Seattle Pacific University
The Evergreen State College
University of Puget Sound
University of Washington-Seattle
Washington State University
Western Washington University
Whitman College
Whitworth University

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education - 20 Credits

Courses used in General Education (Gen Ed) Core may not be used for distribution.

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120  

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising,

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: World Language if required for university admission or graduation.

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses.

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences .

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) . Recommended: MUSC 100 , MUSC 120  for students with minimual music experience; Class piano and piano proficiency are requirements for most music majors. World Language if required for university admission or graduation.

What is Music?

The study of Music explores historical traditions, classical training, and contemporary art forms to develop knowledge and skills in the musical arts. With a core curriculum consisting of six quarters of music theory and keyboard studies-in addition to private lessons in voice, piano and other instruments-the Music transfer program at Shoreline offers a firm foundation for students pursuing a baccalaureate Music degree. There are also many performance opportunities ranging from Bluegrass Band and Chamber Chorale to Jazz Ensemble, Concert Band and Funking Groove-not to mention the yearly productions of Musical Theater and Opera Workshop. Shoreline provides students with small classes, a distinguished faculty and a supportive environment to nurture your musicianship.

Areas of Study in Music: Music Composition, Music Theory, Music Education, Music History, Instrumental Music, Voice, Musical Theatre, Ethnomusicology, Music Therapy, Music Technology and Music Business.

What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Music?

Many career opportunities exist for students who study music. Depending on the area of interest, music majors become performers, composers, conductors, educators, recording artists, therapists, librarians, sales and marketing associates, business managers and entrepreneurs.

Potential employers include: production recording studios, conservatories, symphonies, operas, choral groups, orchestras and bands, musical theaters, churches, film/motion picture studios, radio and television stations, private and public schools, colleges and universities, publishing and production companies, clubs and restaurants. For more, please visit

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type