Aug 05, 2021  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Environmental Studies Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Use the AA -DTA Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a baccalaureate degree in Environmental Studies, Environmental Conservation, Natural Resources, and Sustainability Studies.

Students who want to focus on the scientific aspects are recommended to follow the Environmental Science-Associate in Science degree.

Where can I go for help?

Environmental Studies Faculty Advisors

Emanuela Agosta
206-546-4659 Rm 5349
Chip Dodd
206-546-4653 Rm 5354
Matt Loper
206-546-4683 Rm 5351
Tim Payne
206-546-4706 Rm 5342
Tiffany Meier
206-546-6953 Rm 5231

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

For course information and entry codes, contact:

International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

Career Planning

Where can I transfer and what does my chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

School Transfer Information
Central Washington University
Gonzaga University
Pacific Lutheran University
Seattle University
The Evergreen State College
University of Washington-Bothell
University of Washington-Seattle
University of Washington-Tacoma
Walla Walla University (BA, BS)
Western Washington University
Whitman College

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120 . Recommended: MATH& 141 , MATH& 146 .

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising,

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: CMST& 220 , ENGL& 230 .

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses. Recommended: BIOL 107 , BIOL 144 , BIOL& 211 , BIOL& 212 , BIOL& 213 , CHEM& 121 , CHEM 171 /CHEM 181 , ENVS& 101 , GEOG 203 , GEOG 204 , GEOL& 101 , GEOL& 110 MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142  (prerequisite for MATH& 151), MATH& 146 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH 211 , OCEA& 101 , PHYS 110 , PHYS& 114 .

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Recommended: ANTH& 206 , ECON& 201 , HIST 218 , HIST& 219 POLS& 202 .

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) . Consult with SCC advisors for recommended electives and choose courses as required by transfer institutions. Recommended: World Language if required for university admission or graduation.

What is environmental studies?

Environmental Studies integrates knowledge across the natural sciences, social sciences and the humanities to explore the effects of human activities on the natural world. Students learn to identify environmental problems, analyze causes and develop solutions to promote preservation, sustainability and stewardship of the natural world.

Contemporary issues in Environmental Studies: Climate Change, Resource Depletion, Renewable Energy and Green Technology, Sustainability, Habitat Restoration, Environmental Policy and Environmental Justice.

What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Environmental Studies?

Environmental Studies majors develop knowledge and skills to work in a variety of workplace settings, from environmental law and urban planning, to air, water and waste management.  Students develop skills in critical thinking, communications, consultation, negotiations, advocacy, community education, public policy and legislation.

Potential employers include: Local, state and federal government, environmental protection agencies, natural resources conservation services, U.S. Forest Service, National Park Service, environmental research laboratories, consulting firms, colleges and universities, waste management companies, political action committees, law firms, architectural firms, treatment plants, American Indian nations, utilities and timber companies, land trust organizations, business, and non-profit organizations and foundations. For more, please visit

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type