Apr 16, 2021  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Elementary Education Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Use the AA -DTA Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation.

Once you complete your Shoreline degree, you can transfer to a four-year school to earn a baccalaureate degree Education.

Each college of education has unique ways in which courses will transfer. To maximize the probability that courses taken at Shoreline will apply directly to an Elem. Ed. Degree, it is beneficial to work closely with an advisor from the college of education at the colleges(s) that one is considering attending.

Where can I go for help?

Elementary Education Faculty Advisors

Betty Peace-Gladstone
206-546-4729 bpeace-g@shoreline.edu Rm 5384
Tasleem Qaasim
206-546-4787 tqaasim@shoreline.edu Rm 5350
Shana Calaway
206-546-4628 scalaway@shoreline.edu Rm 5308

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

Career Planning


International Student Academic Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302

eLearning Advising

Jordan Lee
jlee@shoreline.edu 206-533-6713 Rm 5236

What does your chosen four-year school require?

Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

General Requirements for Teacher Certification Programs: All students applying for admission to state approved teacher education programs are required to 1.) pass the Washington Educator Skills Test-Basic (WEST-B); 2.) complete an application for a Teacher’s Certificate, including a Character and Fitness Supplement; 3.) submit to a Washington State Patrol and FBI background check; 4.) complete course requirements and a teaching internship. Some schools require volunteer hours in an elementary education setting for admission. Colleges in the following list offer Undergraduate Teacher Certification (UG), Early Childhood Education (ECE) or Special Education (SE) Programs, or Graduate Degree Programs and Certification (G), which may require specific courses for admission. Check web sites and/or consult with advisors for specific requirements. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements.

School Transfer Information
Antioch University (G) https://www.antioch.edu/seattle/apply-to-ause/
Central Washington University (UG,ECE,SE) http://www.cwu.edu/admissions/transfer-admission-criteria
City University (UG,G) http://tinyurl.com/jajtee6
Eastern Washington University (UG,ECE,G) https://www.ewu.edu/apply/transfer/
Gonzaga University (UG,SE,G) http://tinyurl.com/7c9d6xh
Heritage University (UG,ECE,SE,G) http://www.heritage.edu/Admissions/Transfer-Students/
Northwest University (UG,G) http://tinyurl.com/jle4rr7
Pacific Lutheran University (UG,G) https://www.plu.edu/admission-transfer/
St. Martin’s University (UG,SE,G) http://tinyurl.com/j3pktl2
Seattle Pacific University (UG, SE, G) http://tinyurl.com/z46xxxr
Seattle University (UG, G) http://tinyurl.com/z3kjpcm
The Evergreen State College (G) http://tinyurl.com/zhyjy3s
University of Puget Sound (G) http://tinyurl.com/h7yqx8
University of Washington - Bothell (G) https://www.uwb.edu/admissions/apply/transfer
University of Washington - Seattle (G) https://admit.washington.edu/Apply/Transfer/
University of Washington - Tacoma (G) http://www.tacoma.uw.edu/admissions/transfer-admission
Walla Walla University (UG, G) http://tinyurl.com/z5a4h8p
Washington State University (UG, G) http://tinyurl.com/jk3a2v2
Western Washington University (UG,ECE,SE,G) http://www.wwu.edu/vtc/
Whitworth University (UG,SE,G) http://tinyurl.com/zcdww66

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education - 20 Credits

Courses used in General Education (Gen Ed) Core may not be used for distribution.

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105 .

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120  

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising, mathadvising@shoreline.edu.

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: CMST& 101 , CMST& 220 , World Language if required for university admission or graduation.

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses. Recommended: GEOL& 101  for earth science. One each: earth science, biological science, physical science.

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Recommended: PSYC& 200 , HIST& 146 , HIST& 214 , a world history course, GEOG& 100 .

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted) . Recommended: EDUC& 115 , EDUC& 150 , EDUC& 202 , EDUC& 204 .

What is elementary education?

Elementary Education prepares students to teach in K-8 public and private schools. In addition to completing a teacher education program and residency certificate, students must complete a baccalaureate degree in Elementary Education or a subject area endorsed by the Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI) in Washington State. www.k12.wa.us/certification Some universities offer teacher education programs that can be completed within a bachelor’s degree, while others offer a post-baccalaureate certification program or certification in conjunction with a graduate degree program.

What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Elementary Education?

Elementary Education teachers develop the knowledge, skills and credentials to teach in elementary and middle schools, as well as skills that transfer to a variety of career fields.

Potential employers include: Private and public middle schools and high schools, boards of education, federal, state and local governments, health and human services, marketing and research firms, public advocacy groups, private foundations, non-profit organizations, foreign service, businesses, and publishing companies. For more, please visit http://www.shoreline.edu/counseling-center/career-counseling.aspx.

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Degree and Certificate Type