Apr 16, 2021  
2018-2019 College Catalog 
2018-2019 College Catalog [ARCHIVED CATALOG]

Architectural Studies Pre-Major, AA-DTA Planning Guide

Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Area of Study

Where does my path start?

You will complete an Associate of Arts - Direct Transfer Agreement (AA-DTA) at Shoreline.

Use the AA -DTA Degree Planning Guide, with this sheet, to understand the requirements for graduation.

Architecture programs require specific courses in the first two years of study that are not offered at community colleges; therefore, depending on the transfer destination, it may be advisable to transfer before completing the AA-DTA degree.

To practice as a licensed architect, students will need to complete an accredited graduate degree in architecture.

Where can I go for help?

Architectural Studies Faculty Advisors

Shannon Flynn
206-546-4705 sflynn@shoreline.edu Rm 5346
Juliet Lovejoy
206-546-4774 jlovejoy@shoreline.edu Rm 5311
Joyce Fagel
206-546-6984 jfagel@shoreline.edu Rm 5241

General Academic Advising

FOSS (5000) Building, Rm. 5229

Career Planning


International Advising

9000 Building, Rm. 9302


What does your chosen four-year school require?

Before choosing classes, become familiar with the four-year program where you want to apply: visit the website, email the department, and/or speak with a Shoreline advisor. Below are examples from Washington schools with different admissions and graduation requirements. Check with the school for world language requirements. (Non-native speakers of English are often exempt from this requirement.)

School Transfer Information
University of Washington http://tinyurl.com/hm3uecl
Washington State University http://tinyurl.com/jk3a2v2

What courses should I take?

This unofficial guide is intended to support you as you prepare for your major. Please consult with an advisor and your chosen four-year school(s), as program and admissions requirements vary and may change without notice.

General Education Requirements - 20 Credits

Multicultural Understanding (5 Credits)

Select one of the following courses:

ART 105 , CMST 203 , CMST 285 , GWS 284 , HIST 245 , MCS 105  

Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)

Choose one of the following classes:

MATH& 107 , MATH 111 , MATH& 141 , MATH& 142 , MATH& 146 , MATH& 148 , MATH& 151 , MATH& 152 , MATH& 163 , MATH 207 , MATH 208 , MATH 211 , MATH& 264 , PHIL& 120 . Recommended:  MATH& 148  or MATH& 151 .

* Students planning to transfer to the University of Washington must consult Math Advising, mathadvising@shoreline.edu.

Distribution Requirements - 45 Credits

Humanities (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Art and Drama) in Humanities . Maximum of 5 credits allowed in Performance/Skills courses. No more than 5 credits in a world language at the 100 level. Recommended: ART& 100 , ART 131 , ART 132 , ART 133 , ART 251 , ARTH 226 , CMST& 101  ,CMST& 210  ,CMST& 220 .

Natural Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g.Biology and Physics) in Natural Sciences . At least 10 credits required in Physical, Earth, and/or Biological Sciences, including at least 5 credits of lab science. Maximum 5 credits from Other Science courses. Recommended: BIOL 124 , BIOL& 211 , BIOL& 213 , CHEM& 121 , GEOL& 101 , and PHYS& 114  or PHYS& 221 .

Social Sciences (15 Credits)

Select from at least two different disciplines (e.g., Psychology and History) in Social Sciences . Recommended: HIST& 116 , HIST& 118 , HIST 234 , HIST 237 .

General Electives - Minimum 25 Credits

Comprised of other college-level courses or unrestricted courses. A maximum of 15 credits allowed for restricted/vocational courses, and a maximum of 3 credits allowed in Physical Education. Please see the lists of Restricted Electives  and Elective Courses (Non-restricted)  .

Additional Information:

School Degrees Requirements
University of Washington B.A. in Architecture (dual degree with Construction Management available)
B.A. in Architectural Design Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (BLA)

Admission requirements - Architecture & Architectural Design: ARCH 200, 231, 350, 351. 352
Admission requirements - Bachelor of Landscape Architecture: L ARCH 300, plus L ARCH 352 or 353. ARCH and L ARCH courses must be taken at UW.

All three programs also require completion of UW General Education Requirements and recommend art classes. L ARCH also recommends GEOL& 101 , a botany class, drawing and painting courses. Each program has one application date per year. See their web sites for details www.be.washington.edu.

Washington State University B.S. in Architectural Studies
Bachelor of Landscape Architecture
Both Architectural Studies and Landscape Architecture require specific courses in the first two years that are not offered at Shoreline. Students who want to complete a bachelor’s degree within four years are strongly advised to transfer to WSU as soon as possible to complete the architecture program prerequisites. http://sdc.wsu.edu/

What is Architectural Studies?

From houses, hospitals, schools and bridges to museums and skyscrapers, architects plan and design buildings and structures. Landscape architecture is a specialization of architectural studies focusing on outdoor, open spaces to design gardens, parks and natural settings. Working directly with clients, engineers and contractors, architects develop ideas, estimate costs and plan designs for construction. In addition, architects work closely with city and local government to remain in compliance with government laws, regulations and building codes.

Areas of Study in Architectural Studies: Two and Three Dimensional Design, Drawing, Architectural History, Architectural Theory, Mathematics, Physics, Computer Aided Design, Computer Graphics, Public Policy, Building Codes, Government Regulations, Estimating, Building Materials, Project Management and Professional Ethics.

What can I do with a Bachelor’s Degree in Architectural Studies?

Students who graduate with a bachelor’s degree in Architectural Studies can apply for entry level positions and must work directly under the supervision of a licensed architect. A graduate level degree in Architecture and a three-year internship are required for professional licensure. For more information on the Architecture profession: American Institute of Architects: https://www.aia.org/ or www.aiaseattle.org; Architecture Education: www.acsa-arch.org; Licensing Requirements: www.naab.org or www.ncarb.org

Potential employers include: Private architectural firms, engineering companies, colleges and universities, government agencies, consulting firms, real estate developers, city councils, urban planning councils, construction companies, historical societies, and self-employment. For more, please visit http://www.shoreline.edu/counseling-center/career-counseling.aspx.

Shoreline Community College

16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696

(206) 546-4101


Return to {$returnto_text} Return to: Planning Guides by Area of Study