The Associate in Applied Arts and Sciences degree is designed to provide students with the knowledge and skills in specific career fields to enter the workforce directly upon completion of the 90 credit degree. Shoreline Community College works closely with local advisory committees comprised of industry professionals to ensure students receive the knowledge and skills currently in demand by employers in the field. Students interested in pursuing a four-year baccalaureate degree in Business should follow the Business AA-DTA degree planning guide.
206-546-4773 firstname.lastname@example.org Rm 1420
AAAS Degree (90 Credits)
Note: Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information in this publication. However, the information is subject to change without notice and final career decisions are the responsibility of the student.
Length of Program: 90 Credits
Completion Award: A.A.A.S Degree
Enrollment: Every Quarter
Approximate Quarterly Costs: $25-$85
(in addition to tuition, books and parking)
General Education Core Requirements - 18 Credits
Communication Skills (5 Credits)
Quantitative/Symbolic Reasoning (5 Credits)
Multicultural Understanding (3 Credits)
Business Technology Core Requirements - 67 Credits
Approval To Graduate
Student Name, SID and Date: ____________________________________________________
Faculty Advisor and Date: _______________________________________________________
Division Dean and Date: ________________________________________________________
Credential Approval and Date: ____________________________________________________
Sample Schedule for A.A.A.S. Degree
Business Technology-What is it?
The Business Technology program helps prepare individuals for jobs in today’s computerized business environments. Students complete hands-on computer training in current word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation, and e-mail/calendar software to develop skills essential in an office environment. In addition, students study human relations, mathematics, and communications-all essential for success in the workplace.
Students who successfully complete this program-by achieving a 2.0 or better for each BUSTC course completed and an overall GPA of 2.0 for the program-should be able to:
- Apply business office administrative skills within a variety of workplace environments using critical thinking, ethical decision-making, leadership and teamwork skills, prioritization of tasks, and professionalism.
- Demonstrate effective verbal and written communication and emotional intelligence (EQ) with customers and coworkers in a professional business environment.
- Compose business documents in the correct design formats including emails, memos, letters, meeting notes, policies and procedures, and reports-with minimal grammatical/usage errors.
- Critically apply the use of appropriate and current software skills, (including word processing, spreadsheets, databases, presentations, email, and other correspondence), to achieve business goals.
- Organize business records by using the appropriate filing procedures to store and retrieve records manually and electronically.
- Demonstrate the ability to perform basic payroll functions and prepare monthly, quarterly, and yearly tax forms using standardized accounting principles.
Career Opportunities-What can I do with a Degree or Certificate in Business Technology?
Graduates of Business Technology find employment in a variety of office and administrative support positions which include: Office Assistants, Office Clerks, Receptionists, Information Clerks, Administrative Secretaries, Administrative Assistants, and Office Administrators. Entry-level annual salaries typically range from $23,000 to $29,000, and lead to higher level jobs with salaries upward of $45,000 - $60,000.
Potential employers include: Health care facilities, law firms, accounting firms, insurance agencies, small businesses, corporations, education, and government agencies. For more, please visit career information and resources at http://www.shoreline.edu/counseling-center/career-counseling.aspx.
Shoreline Community College
16101 Greenwood Ave N
Shoreline, WA 98133-5696